VOGONS

First post, by Piecho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I get NFS II SE on my Armada 7800. It plays fulscreen, but with big black border around. Is any way to put it in higher resolution?

Reply 2 of 5, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well the black border is because the resolution of the panel.
those primitive pixel scalers present in early panels don't even attempt to scale if the result isn't a integer number.
if the panel is for 640x480 and you play 320x200 you will have way less border because it will scale the video up to 640(320x2) by 400(200x2)
in your case i would rather play with black borders than play with a crappy scaling(believe things may look terrible).

Reply 3 of 5, by Piecho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeas I know, that scalling will make game look not so good as on original resolution. But I dont see eny option on the game to change resolution or force other. Is any way to do it? I`m using Win98SE.

Reply 4 of 5, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No help from me either, sorry, I'm also fairly certain the only way to go over 640x480 is to use a wrapper like DGVoodoo which that system isn't going to handle 😢 . Unless you go to an external monitor you're going to be stuck with those black bars in any game that won't do 800x600.

To get a time period laptop like that Armada to play friendly with your dos - early win games you need to ditch SVGA and look for a regular TFT color screen laptop (640x480).

So the only suggestion I can offer is to plug it into an external monitor, or look around for a different laptop. I can't think of one with a Pentium 166 or better that doesn't have an SVGA screen though. You may want to look around for a Celeron/Pentium 3 ThinkPad 2628, they are usually cheap and do nice scaling in my experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2v7k-wAm2E -- good watch from 8 bit guy on the topic.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?