VOGONS

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've found that there are updated versions of Ultima II, III and IV that add all sorts of new features... but I don't imagine any of these work on hardware of the era? I'd like to play II and III using at the very least the TGA of my Tandy 1000SX. Are there any such versions out there? I believe a member here, NewRisingSun, has done some work but I haven't been able to find anything more about this.

Reply 2 of 11, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only upgraded versions I am aware of are the C64 versions, unless you mean the open source versions which are not originals and are just fan remake with new engines (xu4,nuvie,exult, etc)

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 3 of 11, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think infinitecloud is talking about fan patches for U1-U4. Here's some info on them.

AFAIK, at least U1-U3 patches are still meant to run even on XT and EGA (not sure about Tandy machines though). However, I vaguely remember having to install the patches under DosBox and transferring patched games to a 286/EGA system. I don't remember why.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 4 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
infiniteclouds wrote:

I've found that there are updated versions of Ultima II, III and IV that add all sorts of new features... but I don't imagine any of these work on hardware of the era? I'd like to play II and III using at the very least the TGA of my Tandy 1000SX. Are there any such versions out there? I believe a member here, NewRisingSun, has done some work but I haven't been able to find anything more about this.

They do work. I have the patches for the early Ultimas installed and running on my 486. The music is amazing. Plays through FM but sounds like MIDI.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 5 of 11, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
infiniteclouds wrote:

They do work. I have the patches for the early Ultimas installed and running on my 486. The music is amazing. Plays through FM but sounds like MIDI.

Yup, these are the patches I was talking about. Although I'd like to run them on a 8088 as intended. I guess I'll just test them by installing and patching them with DOSBOX then transferring them over to the Tandy.

Reply 6 of 11, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a no-go on TGA support.

I also noticed that the GOG releases are using the Origin version of Ultima II instead of Sierra-Online with the animated intro. It would also be nice to see some video footage of Heineman's AppleIIGS version II .. I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Reply 7 of 11, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The FM Towns version of Ultima Trilogy I-II-III are full remakes with redbook CD audio.
There is even a video of Lord British himself on the CD.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 8 of 11, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SuperDeadite wrote:

The FM Towns version of Ultima Trilogy I-II-III are full remakes with redbook CD audio.
There is even a video of Lord British himself on the CD.

It is a spoken audio track with an image of LB with the text of his speech in Japanese.

You can find video of LB on The Ultima Collection, where he sounds a lot less geeky.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 10 of 11, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jarreboum wrote:

That's too bad about the lack of Tandy support. That would have been a great addition.

I'm not giving up on this. Has the source code for these games been made available somewhere? The Exodus team must have had access to them, no? They're no longer active, anyway -- the last update on that site was last year and I wasn't able to get in touch with anyone through the e-mail there.

Reply 11 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm sure they disassembled the binaries and did not have any original source code...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper