VOGONS

First post, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, new conundrum. The game in question is SimCity Classic, the Windows 95 edition. I got it off the internet and installed it on my Pentium III Windows 98 SE machine. The game runs perfectly fine... up to a point.

I'll start a new city and build and build and build. Apparently, I've figured out how to not suck at city building, because I don't have to cheat to get $100,000+ in my pocket, 50,000+ people (Capital), etc. But at some point during building, the game will simply crash the next time I select an item on my build menu (say I click on Industrial so I can lay down new blocks). Clicking the IGNORE button does nothing. Clicking CLOSE shuts the program off. This happens regardless of how long I've been playing. I've saved cities one block at a time. Once the city gets to a certain size, it simply crashes the program. I can load the city, click on a zone and watch it crash almost immediately - even after a reboot.

I'm in the process of loading up the error so I can copy the text here.

Ok, I just spent nearly an hour with my city and it never once crashed. Of COURSE it would work properly as soon as I posted this thread. Now it's a Metropolis with over 215,000 people and it takes up all available land mass.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 1 of 2, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it really a Windows 95 port, or does it just run the DOS extender in Windows 95, like some other Windows 95-"compatible" games (SC2000 CD Collection, Sim Isle)? If the latter, then somewhat random crashes can be expected - usually it has something to do with the DOS extender clashing with Windows 9x memory management...

Reply 2 of 2, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't be able to tell you, to be honest. It LOOKS like a Windows 9x game with a window and stuff. But like I said, it hasn't crashed ever since I wrote this post. Maybe that's Fate or Kharma trying to make me look bad?

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png