VOGONS

First post, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

anyone knows if Windows 3.x uses the FPU on 286/386 Systems ?

Thx

Matthias

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 1 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi Matthias,
Yes - As far as I know, Windows 3.1x is said to do so, but not Windows 3.0.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It had been tested thoroughly in an article of win magazine, issue 5/'92.

Funny, though, that you mention Excel. The magazine said (by analogy):
"On Windows 3.0, co-processors lived a shadowy existence: Even by Microsoft's own estimation,
they were used for Windows applications such as Excel at best."

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 12, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows calculator does - also on the Pentium .... we are Pentium of Borg, you will be approximated!
The thing is, what uses floating point - by the standard Windows function calls, it will be passed to the FPU if present, emulated if not

Reply 7 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I forgot to mention - Microsoft once released a patch, WW0548.EXE, for systems with i387 FPUs.
Apparently, it was required for Windows 3.10 on 386 PCs and contained a new WIN87EM.DLL.

That dynamic link library does provide both virtualization and emulation of x87,
so multiple programs could safely make use of the math co-processor.

It is akin to WIN87EM.EXE, which was used in the days of Windows /386.
(Back then, it could be added optionally as load=win87em in win.ini.)

Anyway, 80486DX and 80486DX2 processors were excepted by that WW0548 patch..
I don't know if it was/is required for 286+287XL (i387 core) or 386+287 combos, though. 😕

Since the patch files in that self-extractor are dated mid-92, later releases of Win 3.x,
such as plain 3.11, WfW 3.10 or WfW 3.11, may already have shipped with a new DLL.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/8686 … for-intel-80387

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am resurrecting this thread because I did some quick tests on a 486slc33 system with and without a Cyrix CX83S87-33 fpu.
The rest of the system is 64kb L2 cache, CL5420 vga controller (NOT 5426/5428 stated on winmark) and 16mb of ram running wfw3.11 at 800x600/16colors.

WinG result:
p7Suisll.jpg

WinBench 3.11:
6TyciGth.jpg

so there is some boost in gfx speed - keep in mind that the 5420 does not really offer any gui acceleration, maybe a better vga sees no boost at all.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thank you very much for testing, Keropi! 😎

What about the standard VGA drivers (3.1 and 3.0) ?
The 3.1 version does dirty-rectangle from what I remember, maybe it has some FPU code also ?

Anyway, just curious - since I have no physical 286/386 at hand now (all boxed up)! 😅

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 12, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Attached ww0548.exe file linked from Microsoft KB : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/8686 … for-intel-80387 as this webpage does not exist anymore.

( direct link to MS download is still working, but for how long ? https://download.microsoft.com/download/win31 … n-us/ww0548.exe )

The WW0548.EXE file contains a revised Windows WIN87EM.DLL file. You must be using Windows version 3.1 to use this dynamic-link library (DLL) file. If you have a version of Windows earlier than 3.1, you do not need to replace your current WIN87EM.DLL file. You also do not need to replace your WIN87EM.DLL file unless you are using the Intel 80387 math coprocessor. The Intel 80486DX and 80486DX2 processors do not require the new file.

Attachments

• Filename
    ww0548.exe
    File size
    24.48 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 11 of 12, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote on 2017-12-13, 18:49:

The article says Win3.1 does and gives up to 80% more GUI performance.

I checked the article. Interestingly you don’t see what exactly and how they have benched. So is it wintach or standard calc or just apps. At the end you cannot say wether the fpu is supporting a (benchmark) app or the win 3.1 desktop itself.

BR

1) VLSI SCAMP 311 / 386SX25@29 / 16MB / CL-GD5434 / CT2830/ SCC-1&MT32 / Fast-SCSI AHA 1542CF + BlueSCSI v2
2) SIS486 / 486DX/2 66(@80) / 32MB / TGUI9440 / LAPC-I

Reply 12 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

+1

Another thing that comes to mind.
The article was in issue 5/92 and Windows 3.1 was released 4/92.

Could it be that the VGA drivers used in the benchmark were some sort of beta drivers?
Or that Windows 3.0 drivers were still used on Windows 3.1?

Maybe that's part of the story, not sure.
Windows 3.0 didn't feature GDI acceleration yet, neither did the driver model.

The only thing that technically already worked (since the 80s) was FPU-based acceleration.

Either by the application itself or by the drivers (the only other thing not using Microsoft code).

I'm just thinking out loud, of course. I'm as curious or clueless as you.

//My video channel//