VOGONS

First post, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any tips how Need for Speed 1 Special Edition can be played on Windows 98 SE? It relies on DirectX 2, which doesn't work on Windows 98 SE (after installation, Windows 98 SE replaces the files, saying they are old/not compatible). Ignoring DirectX 2 and just trying to start the game causes an instant crash (GPF). DOS exe works of course, but I want to keep Windows and DOS environments separate and don't want to start DOS games from Windows. And I can not mount the ISO from pure DOS either. There must be a way to get the Windows version running.

Reply 1 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I cant quite remember as I struggled with this game as well, although I was more interested in DOS.
I do remember I could not get the game running using an iso, but would play fine with the physical CD (obviously this is in windows, but may have been he dos version)

If you install windows, then the game (letting it install Direct X 2) then just backup the game folder, you will bypass the whole setup routine in future "installs" a few games have this hard coded Direct X version check in them even though a newer version may be installed, lucky it was before too much was written to the registry so simply running the exe worked

Reply 2 of 2, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem is not the DirectX check itself (can be skipped) but the fact that DirectX 2 does not work in Win98 SE and the game crashes at launch with a GPF. Installed or directly started from CD makes no difference.