GOG versions of Quake 3 and UT99 on Windows 98SE?

Getting old software/games running on older hardware.

GOG versions of Quake 3 and UT99 on Windows 98SE?

Postby jheronimus » 2017-12-19 @ 13:42

Hi, all!

There is a sale over at GOG and I thought I could grab me a Quake 3 Gold and Unreal Tournament GOTY.

Question is — will I be able to run those versions under Windows 98SE on a Pentium3/Voodoo 3 machine? And if so, will I be able to join public servers? I've only ever played those games over LAN, so I'm not sure how this works.
jheronimus
Oldbie

Re: GOG versions of Quake 3 and UT99 on Windows 98SE?

Postby leileilol » 2017-12-19 @ 23:52

I don't expect any trouble with Q3. 1.32 should work fine. Blind advice about source ports don't realize they won't work in Win98 (mainly because of some unix/gcc/sdl2 cruft reasons which could've been avoided with basic competence)
leileilol
l33t++

Postby DX7_EP » 2017-12-20 @ 02:26

The GOG version of UT99 worked fine in my 98SE test setup (Pent 3, GeForce 2MX, Voodoo 2, Vortex 2), but I ran the installer and applied several patches (eg. UT Bonus Pack 4, deleting the nGlide Glide DLLs, updated OpenGL renderer) on a XP setup and then copied the files over directly. I don't know if the GOG installer will work fine on 98SE directly.

I have the Steam version of Q3A, myself, but considering I've gotten it to work on that unit by overwriting the provided Q3A executable with the non-Steam 1.32c one, I believe the GOG version should work fine. ioquake3 hasn't worked for me, however, but I think it's a matter of recompiling with some needed libraries and/or using KernelEx.

Bear in mind that I only checked the single-player parts of the game, however, and cannot verify their usability on public servers.
Last edited by DX7_EP on 2017-12-20 @ 04:46, edited 1 time in total.
CM-64, FB-01, SC-55ST, SC-8850, SD-20, SD-90, MU1000-EX + PLG-150VL
DX7_EP

Postby leileilol » 2017-12-20 @ 03:55

- XP+ PSAPI.DLL dependency kills Win95/98/ME/NT4/2000 targets
- SDL2 dependency kills Win95/98/ME/NT4/2000 targets
- SDL/SDL2 implementation doesn't use 3dfx extensions so overbrights and gamma control are regressed on those cards (in addition r_glDriver is no longer implemented so this kills off Voodoo/Voodoo2 targets)
- Winsock2 dependency kills off Win95 targets
- PID file code kills off WinNT4 targets
- No startup console window because that'd be giving Windows users too much useful feedback only GNU/Linux(tm) are allowed to have.

Most servers still serve for stock 1.32.
leileilol
l33t++

Postby shamino » 2017-12-20 @ 04:37

GOG's installer doesn't work on Win98, but there's a workaround.
There's a utility that extracts the files from GOG's installers. I don't remember the name of it, but it's been discussed in other threads before.

I used that utility to extract the files from the GOG versions of Unreal and Unreal Tournament (that's the same as UT99, isn't it?). I then copied those extracted files to a folder on Win98SE and they run fine.

There's a minor fix you have to make to restore native Glide support. GoG has the install contaminated with nGlide by default (or whatever it's called). I think the fix is just to delete 1 or 2 files. This gets rid of nGlide and then the game's Glide mode should revert to it's original form, working with real 3dfx hardware. I haven't tested the Glide mode personally though.
I have no idea about Quake 3.
shamino
Oldbie

Postby .legaCy » 2017-12-20 @ 23:27

shamino wrote:GOG's installer doesn't work on Win98, but there's a workaround.
There's a utility that extracts the files from GOG's installers. I don't remember the name of it, but it's been discussed in other threads before.

I used that utility to extract the files from the GOG versions of Unreal and Unreal Tournament (that's the same as UT99, isn't it?). I then copied those extracted files to a folder on Win98SE and they run fine.

There's a minor fix you have to make to restore native Glide support. GoG has the install contaminated with nGlide by default (or whatever it's called). I think the fix is just to delete 1 or 2 files. This gets rid of nGlide and then the game's Glide mode should revert to it's original form, working with real 3dfx hardware. I haven't tested the Glide mode personally though.
I have no idea about Quake 3.

A little bit of self promotion but i show here how https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCZMyf-grdQ
I recompile the edited scripts with one Inno Setup Creator that is Windows 98 Friendly.

Btw GOG Q3A works online.
If you like retro hardware and retro gaming videos please visit my YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSZiFV ... zNa30_DYTg
.legaCy

Return to Software