VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all!

There is a sale over at GOG and I thought I could grab me a Quake 3 Gold and Unreal Tournament GOTY.

Question is — will I be able to run those versions under Windows 98SE on a Pentium3/Voodoo 3 machine? And if so, will I be able to join public servers? I've only ever played those games over LAN, so I'm not sure how this works.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 1 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't expect any trouble with Q3. 1.32 should work fine. Blind advice about source ports don't realize they won't work in Win98 (mainly because of some unix/gcc/sdl2 cruft reasons which could've been avoided with basic competence)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 5, by DX7_EP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The GOG version of UT99 worked fine in my 98SE test setup (Pent 3, GeForce 2MX, Voodoo 2, Vortex 2), but I ran the installer and applied several patches (eg. UT Bonus Pack 4, deleting the nGlide Glide DLLs, updated OpenGL renderer) on a XP setup and then copied the files over directly. I don't know if the GOG installer will work fine on 98SE directly.

I have the Steam version of Q3A, myself, but considering I've gotten it to work on that unit by overwriting the provided Q3A executable with the non-Steam 1.32c one, I believe the GOG version should work fine. ioquake3 hasn't worked for me, however, but I think it's a matter of recompiling with some needed libraries and/or using KernelEx.

Bear in mind that I only checked the single-player parts of the game, however, and cannot verify their usability on public servers.

Last edited by DX7_EP on 2017-12-20, 04:46. Edited 1 time in total.

CM-64, FB-01, SC-55ST, SC-8850, SD-20

Reply 3 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

- XP+ PSAPI.DLL dependency kills Win95/98/ME/NT4/2000 targets
- SDL2 dependency kills Win95/98/ME/NT4/2000 targets
- SDL/SDL2 implementation doesn't use 3dfx extensions so overbrights and gamma control are regressed on those cards (in addition r_glDriver is no longer implemented so this kills off Voodoo/Voodoo2 targets)
- Winsock2 dependency kills off Win95 targets
- PID file code kills off WinNT4 targets
- No startup console window because that'd be giving Windows users too much useful feedback only GNU/Linux(tm) are allowed to have.

Most servers still serve for stock 1.32.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 5, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GOG's installer doesn't work on Win98, but there's a workaround.
There's a utility that extracts the files from GOG's installers. I don't remember the name of it, but it's been discussed in other threads before.

I used that utility to extract the files from the GOG versions of Unreal and Unreal Tournament (that's the same as UT99, isn't it?). I then copied those extracted files to a folder on Win98SE and they run fine.

There's a minor fix you have to make to restore native Glide support. GoG has the install contaminated with nGlide by default (or whatever it's called). I think the fix is just to delete 1 or 2 files. This gets rid of nGlide and then the game's Glide mode should revert to it's original form, working with real 3dfx hardware. I haven't tested the Glide mode personally though.
I have no idea about Quake 3.

Reply 5 of 5, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote:
GOG's installer doesn't work on Win98, but there's a workaround. There's a utility that extracts the files from GOG's installers […]
Show full quote

GOG's installer doesn't work on Win98, but there's a workaround.
There's a utility that extracts the files from GOG's installers. I don't remember the name of it, but it's been discussed in other threads before.

I used that utility to extract the files from the GOG versions of Unreal and Unreal Tournament (that's the same as UT99, isn't it?). I then copied those extracted files to a folder on Win98SE and they run fine.

There's a minor fix you have to make to restore native Glide support. GoG has the install contaminated with nGlide by default (or whatever it's called). I think the fix is just to delete 1 or 2 files. This gets rid of nGlide and then the game's Glide mode should revert to it's original form, working with real 3dfx hardware. I haven't tested the Glide mode personally though.
I have no idea about Quake 3.

A little bit of self promotion but i show here how https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCZMyf-grdQ
I recompile the edited scripts with one Inno Setup Creator that is Windows 98 Friendly.

Btw GOG Q3A works online.