VOGONS

First post, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried installing windows 98 on this system quite a few times, all times ending with miserable failure. Although eMachines only provides drivers for windows XP 32 bit, i have found drivers for almost every device, but ACPI IRQ Holder or something keeps getting a code 10, and no matter what drivers I try, I just get a code 10. Nobody has ever heard of a code 10, and there is absolutely no help. Does anyone know how I would go about doing this?

Display is an ATI Integrated xpress 200
512 Megs DDR ram
Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value PCI

Reply 2 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good morning! 😀
Can you change the ACPI version in CMOS setup, maybe ?
I'm speaking under correction, but ACPI tables from -say- the mid 2000s were different than those from the 90s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Config … Power_Interface

If nothing helps, you can try to install Win98 without ACPI support (setup /p i).
http://smallvoid.com/article/win9x-setup-switches.html

This may results in fewer resources, however, since support for the APIC is sometimes tied to it (on some OSes).

Edit: Sometimes, IRQ9 is used by ACPI, EGA/VGA (IRQ2/9), Ethernet cards and the MPU-401 MIDI interface.
So please make sure there's no hidden interrupt conflict. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 3, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The BIOS only had the option to disable APIC, and not to change the ACPI version. However, "setup /p i" worked and installed all windows 98 perfectly. But now the SB Live Value card's SB16 Emulation doesn't work (It installs, but no DOS game detects it). I've had nothing but trouble with that card ever since it came with a pentium II PC, but the SB16 emulation worked in that one (Not very well, FM Synthesis sounded like a shelf of falling xylophones). Sound works though, and so does pretty much everything else. The SB16 emulation keeps getting assigned IRQ9, could that be the reason?