VOGONS

First post, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Helloooooo

I've been doing a lot of pixel art for my projects using a version of paint shop pro on my 9x rig. Issue I'm having is that I'm making these for programs running in mode 13h (VGA 320x200 @256 color) which is not square, which is resulting in minor aggravation due to the change in aspect.

I'm curious what software is out there that still has some kind of legible documentation on use that I could pick up that runs in mode13.

I'm guessing the top answer will be deluxe paint, but I can't find any half decent tutorials on getting going with it. I don't find the interface very intuitive thus far and feel I'll have to invest quite a bit of trial and error time into making half decent images, let alone customizing the color palette. I do have quite a few books from the early 90s that came with free versions of dpaint on their source disks, but nothing on how to use it 😎

Thoughts?

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 2 of 15, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

Neo Paint. Best painting tool for DOS ever. 😀

does it support the PCX file format? sorry I forgot to add that requirement. I can write in a function to do others if need be, but would prefer to continue with PCX 256 color images.

Reply 8 of 15, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The DOS versions of both GrafX2 and Deluxe Paint II are the only ones I use. If you weren't all too thrilled with Deluxe Paint, check out GrafX2. It does come with some docs, but I've found it reasonably easy to figure out by just playing with it (YMMV I guess...).

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 10 of 15, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Neo Paint is definitely easy to use, I will give it that. 😜 I remember I liked the demo version that came on the CD with my copy of the "Amazing 3-D Games Adventure Set" book way back when.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 11 of 15, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BeginnerGuy wrote:

Helloooooo

I've been doing a lot of pixel art for my projects using a version of paint shop pro on my 9x rig. Issue I'm having is that I'm making these for programs running in mode 13h (VGA 320x200 @256 color) which is not square, which is resulting in minor aggravation due to the change in aspect.

How about setting your Windows resolution to 640x400, if your graphics driver supports that . Then you would have the same aspect ratio as mode 13h .

Reply 12 of 15, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote:
BeginnerGuy wrote:

Helloooooo

How about setting your Windows resolution to 640x400, if your graphics driver supports that . Then you would have the same aspect ratio as mode 13h .

What about a version of Zsoft PC Paintbrush ?
As far as I know, there even was a port to Windows 1.x/2.x, which in turn got drivers for certain
graphics hardware (Paradise, V7, etc.) to allow such a 640x400 resolution in 256 colours.
The GUI Gallery has some pictures of it, I recall. 😀

(Alternatively, there is that MCGA driver that shipped with Windows 3.0 wit Multimedia Extensions..
I believe it should work just fine in Windows 3.1, too)

Attachments

• PIC_0022.JPG
    Filename
    PIC_0022.JPG
    File size
    673.35 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Windows 3.0 MME, MCGA driver
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 15, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Surprised no one has mentioned Animator Pro. This was the other hard-hitter (as well as Delux Paint) for 2D during the early 90's. While the colour palettes/models are different (HAM/halfbrite etc compared to VGA etc) I can't see the tools being too different from Amiga and PC (I only used it on the Amiga), although I may be wrong. You could maybe pick-up an amiga delux paint manual (loads on ebay, DPIII was shipped with many ECS Amigas, and DPIV shipped with most AGA Amigas iirc). tbh These early paint programs have a pretty basic tool-set, it shouldn't be too hard to mess around and find your way, they ain't a fraction of the complexity of something like photoshop... I did and I was't too competent with anything back then o.0

Reply 14 of 15, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for all the replies guys, now I have a whole bunch to toy with. I haven't skipped over any replies.

ZSoft PC paintbrush looks easy enough for me considering it's resemblance to modern ms paint and I believe they invented the PCX format (iirc from the header.. 🤣) I'm going to start with Neopaint per the first recommendation and go in order to see what works for me.. That's going to be whatever is the easiest to figure out how to use (that includes changing the color palette) because I really want to get cracking on making assets and have something to show for all this work by summer '18.

I'm sure I may have some questions but I've been busy with adding serial networking this week and haven't gone back to graphics yet (typical programmer problems).. I'll be back to this in a few days