VOGONS

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have recently built a Pentium 66 build with a Weitek Power 9000 video card. I am trying to install SimCity 2000 onto this machine but it tells me my card is not a Super VGA. It will let me install saying it will use the VESA SVGA driver but the game will not start. It says the video card is not compatible or something to that effect. Is there anyway to get this to work? I was under the impression the the Weitek P9000 was SVGA compatible?

EDIT: I was able to run vprmode vesa and get the game to load up. IT is a Diamond Viper PCI card just to be more specific. However, the video display is just a bunch of horizontal lines. Is this card a pile of crap or am I doing something wrong?

Reply 2 of 8, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

UniVBE did work! However, the sound does not play correctly with UnivVBE loaded. Solve one problem, try and fix another 🤣.

Reply 4 of 8, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have any pci S3, Cirrus logic, Nvidia, or ati cards to try out?

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 8, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do have several cards that I could use. I am trying to keep it 1993 specific though and my Sockcet 4 MB has only PCI and ISA slots. Which means VLB is out of the picture. Are there any PCI choices from 1993 that I could replace the P9000 with that your aware of? Or are there ISA choices that would preform well?

Reply 6 of 8, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fsmith2003 wrote:

I do have several cards that I could use. I am trying to keep it 1993 specific though and my Sockcet 4 MB has only PCI and ISA slots. Which means VLB is out of the picture. Are there any PCI choices from 1993 that I could replace the P9000 with that your aware of? Or are there ISA choices that would preform well?

You're a bit between a rock (PCI) and a hard place (ISA). PCI in 1993 was very new, and the implementations were often not as refined as a VL-Bus counterpart; VLB would often outperform PCI. There are also very few PCI cards of this vintage: A quick look in 1993 issues of PC Mag and the date codes on certain chips indicate that boards based on the Weitek Power 9000, S3 928, ATi Mach32, Tseng ET4000/W32P and Matrox MGA-II would be your options. Cirrus Logic had no PCI implementations at this time; In 1993, the CL-GD5428 was their top dog, and was still based on the ISA bus.

ISA, on the other hand, was a bit slow for optimal performance by this time, especially with a Pentium, although the CL-GD5428, ET4000/W32, or S3 928 would still be options.

This is keeping the system at 1993 correct. Moving up by one year, the S3 Vision 968 becomes a very tempting option, in my opinion.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 7 of 8, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When you say it is an accelerator for Windows what exactly does that entail? Does it make for a better GUI experience or something or are certain programs optimized?

Reply 8 of 8, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To gloss over it quite a bit, Windows accelerators are geared toward the graphics API of Windows, often using bitmap caching and screen-to-screen bitblock transfers. This works great for Win3.x, but is at a disadvantage against framebuffer cards in DOS.

In most cases, the faster a Windows accelerator card is in Windows, the slower it is for DOS.

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"