VOGONS

First post, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is anyone here running Wolfenstein 3D on a Headland HT12/A-based 286? On mine, it only runs stable with digital FX turned off. As soon as I enable digital FX, the game randomly freezes in-game as well as in demo mode. The freeze always happens when a digital sound effect is played, but not at first time but randomly.

I already ruled out the sound card. Tested with four different ones incl. a real SB16. Other games are not affected, only Wolfenstein 3D. Using retail version 1.4 btw.

Reply 1 of 25, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you set the BLASTER evironment variable to the correct settings for each card you tried? Since Wolfenstein 3D doesn't come with a sound setup utility, it relies on the BLASTER settings to get the correct DMA and IRQ settings. The address is the only part of the SoundBlaster configuration that Wolf3D can auto-detect.

Reply 2 of 25, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, of course. I wish it would be that easy. 😉

It seems to be a specific issue with the board/chipset, as I have another 286 with the same specs and even used the same sound card for testing, but it still freezes after some time on the HT12/A board, but not on the other 286.

Reply 3 of 25, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I thought it was worth mentioning.

Perhaps you should also tell people which version of version 1.4 you're using. From what I remember, there should be at least three or four different releases of version 1.4: two Apogee releases, a GT Interactive release and an Activision release. They have different publisher logos on the startup screen, but I think the only difference between the two Apogee releases is that one recognizes the "goobers" parameter and the other doesn't. I'm not sure if there are any differences in the (audio) code, but it could be possible.

Reply 5 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hopefully I will get some time to try this over the weekend and report back

1ZdSNdDm.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I completely forgot about it! 🙁
I will test it tomorrow when I am back at the place the mobo is stored 😎

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have tested with my mobo (1mb ram, bios 0-wait states enabled, WD90C30 vga, CT2230 and XTIDE CF adapter) I played 2 levels and the game did not freeze. Leaving it on DEMO though at some point it just quit with this error - no freeze though:

DfMLtGjl.jpg

Reply 13 of 25, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

And you played with sound, didn't you?

SD_SetPosition is for playing digitized sounds on SoundBlaster cards that can play in stereo, so I would assume the answer is "yes".

Reply 14 of 25, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes , tried with a SB16 CT2230 both music+sfx enabled

Some time ago I had another 286/16 with the HT12/A chipset - I vaguely remember having issues with wolf3d on it as well with a CT1350B but I don't remember what exactly. I remember now I stopped caring about it since the game was not that enjoyable on a 286 🤣

Reply 16 of 25, by Romain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I've the same mobo & cpu and I've the same issue with Wolf3d ONLY - all another 3D never freeze.

The FX sounds are presents, but not always (especially the doors and first gun shoot), and sometime ... complete freeze.

CPU AMD 16/S
FPU intel (tested with en without, same issue)
4 Mb
VGA Oak OTI-067
SB CT2910

Tested with all versions of Wolf3d 1.0 to 1.4.

Anyone help us ? 😀

Reply 18 of 25, by ahyeadude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same exact issue with a am386sx-40 (M396F v2.6) and the Apogee 1.4 version. Random freezes when SB digital effects turned on. Took forever to diagnose because the freezes are so random and sometimes the demo would run a while before freezing.

Running a SB 1.5 clone (clone of snark barker). Card works flawlessly outside of the wolf3d digital sound freeze issue.
A220 I7 D1 T1

Anyone have any luck solving this?