VOGONS

First post, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Helllooo once more,

I think I'm going to finally just open a thread for myself about my engine and game development and maybe some nice people will follow along with the issues I come across and maybe offer solutions instead of continually asking questions with a new thread, but for now.. one more. (Which subforum would be proper for my active game/engine development anyway?? )

Problem:
I've been changing my engine's temporal synchronization system over from using vertical retrace (vsync) to reprogramming the system timer (0x43 - 8253 control register) and now realize that if I try to test reprogramming it through a command prompt launched through WFW 3.11, it doesn't change at all. The only reason I'm even doing it this way is because I write all code on a linux box and compile it straight through the network using MS C/C++ on my 486 (networked using WFW)

Anyway, is there any place in memory I can look for a flag bit that will tell me whether or not windows is running? I'm guessing windows locks the CPU down into protected mode, a topic which I badly need a course on.

I used the dos command _outp to put the timer in mode 2 then two more _outp calls to write the low and hi bytes (in that order), which works fine in dos. Problem is, according to msdn for _outp:

"The functions return the data output. There is no error return. ". So I'm not sure how to error check and return an error doing this.

In the mean time i grabbed the book "Advanced M. S.-DOS Programming: The Microsoft Guide for Assembly Language and C. Programmers" hoping it will steer me in the right direction.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 1 of 6, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try disabling the interrupts while reprogramming the timer, like this:

_disable;
_outp(...);
_outp(...);
_outp(...);
_enable;

This should help in case the multitasking/task switching is messing with your code. But it's also possible that Windows is redirecting the ports, wich means you won't be able to reprogram the timer anyway.

Reply 2 of 6, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure if there's a better way, but I know you can check for the presence of Windows (and get the version) with interrupt 0x2f. Here's a quick program I threw together (I compiled with Watcom, might need to adjust a little bit if you use something else):

#include <stdio.h>
#include <dos.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
union REGS r;
int major, minor;

r.w.ax = 0x1600;
int386(0x2f, &r, &r);

if (r.h.al == 0) {
printf("Not running Windows.\n");
return 0;
}

if (r.h.al == 1) {
printf("Running Windows 2.x?\n");
return 1;
}

printf("Running Windows 3.x or later\n");
major = r.h.al;
minor = r.h.ah;

printf("Windows version = %d.%d\n", major, minor);

return 0;
}

I haven't tested on this on anything but MS-DOS 6.2 and Windows 3.1, but I believe this should work on other versions.

I think I'm going to finally just open a thread for myself about my engine and game development and maybe some nice people will follow along with the issues I come across and maybe offer solutions instead of continually asking questions with a new thread, but for now.. one more. (Which subforum would be proper for my active game/engine development anyway?? )

Yeah, I was kind of wondering if some kind of "Programming" subforum might be a nice addition. Not sure if we have enough people interested in that here, but who knows, the very presence of such a forum might inspire others to start writing code for their retro PCs. 😀

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 3 of 6, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unless you need PC/XT compatibility, I recommend leaving the timer alone and hooking int 70h (RTC) instead. This is available on AT+ computers and runs at 1024 hz, and can be used in all versions of Windows.

This is what I use to detect a Windows DOS box vs pure DOS:

DetectWin	proc	near

mov [InWindows], 1 ; Assume Windows unless we pass all the checks

mov ax, 1600h ; Check for Win 3.x and 9x/Me
int 2Fh
cmp al, 00h
je DetectNT
cmp al, 80h
je DetectNT
ret

DetectNT:
mov ax, 71A0h ; Check for Win NT/2K/XP
xor cx, cx
int 21h
cmp ax, 7100h
je DetectOS2
ret

DetectOS2:
mov ax, 4010h ; Check for OS/2
int 2Fh
cmp ax, 4010h
je DetectDesqView
ret

DetectDesqView:
mov ax, 2B01h ; Check for DesqView
mov cx, 4445h
mov dx, 5351h
int 21h
cmp al, 0FFh
je InDOS
ret

InDOS:
mov [InWindows], 0 ; Must be in pure DOS
ret

DetectWin endp

Reply 4 of 6, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for the replies guys, I will test these out shortly.

Re: Disabling interrupts, I've tried that with inline (_asm cli) with no luck, it seems it's either changing the port or as soon as interrupts are re-enabled, changing it back. Either that or the protected mode is simply blocking me from doing it and I get no error returned.. who knows.

Re Gered & Plasma, A ha! no mention of 2fh 16xxh in this old book... thank you so much. Might I ask what reference you guys use for this?

I turned this up: http://www.oldlinux.org/Linux.old/docs/interr … ml/int-2f-1.htm but even this has no mention of ax, 71A0h .. and i had to know which interrupt i was looking for in the first place just to turn up the link.

Plasma -- Thank you for the information on the RTC, these books I'm using are a bit more dated than needed as they were focused on programming for a common denominator which was the 286. I'll give this a shot, either way it's good to know about the multiplex interrupt..

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 5 of 6, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually only knew about it as I recalled that Allegro did OS detection in allegro_init(). I don't think any of the books I have mention that interrupt either sadly. Allegro's detection also looks for Win NT, OS/2, etc as in Plasma's code.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 6 of 6, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BeginnerGuy wrote:
Thank you for the replies guys, I will test these out shortly. […]
Show full quote

Thank you for the replies guys, I will test these out shortly.

Re: Disabling interrupts, I've tried that with inline (_asm cli) with no luck, it seems it's either changing the port or as soon as interrupts are re-enabled, changing it back. Either that or the protected mode is simply blocking me from doing it and I get no error returned.. who knows.

Re Gered & Plasma, A ha! no mention of 2fh 16xxh in this old book... thank you so much. Might I ask what reference you guys use for this?

I turned this up: http://www.oldlinux.org/Linux.old/docs/interr … ml/int-2f-1.htm but even this has no mention of ax, 71A0h .. and i had to know which interrupt i was looking for in the first place just to turn up the link.

Plasma -- Thank you for the information on the RTC, these books I'm using are a bit more dated than needed as they were focused on programming for a common denominator which was the 286. I'll give this a shot, either way it's good to know about the multiplex interrupt..

That listing is for int 2F. Int 21 ax=71A0 is documented. But I wrote that code over a decade ago so I don't remember my original source of inspiration.

The RTC interrupt should work on a 286. Just won't work on a PC/XT with an 8088.