VOGONS

First post, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone else experienced that? On three completely different systems (P1 MMX 200 MHz, P3 450 MHz, AMD Duron 800 MHz), the game often freezes in attract mode when running in SVGA. The game itself runs stable, just not the attract mode. In VGA, no freeze happens. Sometimes Strg+Alt+Del still works, sometimes not. The game has been installed from the original CD, so it's not caused by damaged files.

Reply 1 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't played the game enough to be able to say. I'm not even sure what attract mode is. 🤣 That tells you how familiar I am with the game. I've done some quick races just to test framerates, etc. So what is this attract mode? I may be able to test it if I know what to do.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, just start the game and let it run through the demos with the credits rolling?

Reply 5 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just had it looping for 40 minutes without a lockup. Pentium Overdrive 200MMX with Ark2000PV 1MB PCI graphics card and Audician 32 sound card. 32MB EDO and DOS 6.22 Using STARTH.EXE (no high color).

Reply 8 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just realized you said Screamer, and I was testing Screamer 2. Maybe that's why I didn't have any freezes. 😊

Reply 11 of 13, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:
gerwin wrote:

Unstable was my conclusion as well.

So you got those freezes as well?

Yes. I think I had it while playing too. When you search back in these very forums you will find a few more people reporting this problem, even when using DosBox.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 12 of 13, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interestingly, it seems to crash faster the slower the CPU is. When tested on the MMX 200 MHz, it froze after 10 seconds or so. On the P3 450 MHz, it run for some minutes, and on the Duron 800 MHz, it took 30-40 minutes before the system did a hard reset.

Anyway, good to know that this is "normal". I used the attract mode originally to stress-test my mainboards. When it happend first time, I thought the mainboard was bad...

Reply 13 of 13, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Screamer SVGA is quite buggy. In fact, in order for you to complete one of the tracks (which I don't remember the name) you have to either fallback to VGA or replace the highres texture file with the corresponding lowres one, otherwise it would always crash on the same spot.

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE