VOGONS

First post, by W Gruffydd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

GRAB.EXE from Vogons Driver Library

Playing Jedi Knight, ALT+TAB out, run GRAB.EXE exactly as instructed, .tga file is successfully saved, but the the image still suffers from heavy dithering:

jk3.jpg
Filename
jk3.jpg
File size
208.36 KiB
Views
File comment
GRAB.EXE
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
jk3_zoom.jpg
Filename
jk3_zoom.jpg
File size
200.05 KiB
Views
File comment
GRAB.EXE zoomed
File license

The GRAB.EXE shot is identical to a shot taken with Jedi Knight's built-in screenshot tool (F12 and saved in .bmp. by default). There is no need to include the built-in shot, as it looks 100% the same.

If GRAB.EXE grabs an image from the framebuffer, where "colors are stored after dithering into 16 bit to save memory bandwidth and capacity", but before they are upsampled to remove the dithering, then aren't its shots are always going to be flawed? What is the point of GRAB.EXE? Are there games that won't take screenshots at all with Voodoo1 Cards without this utility?

What do you use to take accurate screenshots of Voodoo1 games in Windows 95? Should SUPRGRAB work?

Specs:
Abit LX6 Rev. 1.01 (Intel Balboa 440LX, Intel Chipset Drivers June '98)
PII 300 (@ 300)
Micron PC66 SDRAM (32MB x 2)
Diamond Viper 330 (Riva 128, Diamond V330 drivers Nov '97, Full Install including InControl)
Orchid Righteous 3D (Voodoo1, Orchid drivers Dec '97 v3.01.00, w/ Glide2x.dll 2.43 + Direct3D 4.10.00)
Diamond Monster Sound (Dec '97 drivers)
Windows 95 OSR2.0 (Typicall Install)

My list of wanted hardware

Reply 2 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ This is true. Hasn't stopped people from trying to reimplment the filter in software though.

All I know is that SUPRGRAB and Hypersnap DX implement the 4x1 filter (the latter has a nag watermark and isn't actually very precise at filtering)

Reproducing the filter effect was once a passion of mine... especially when V2 and V3+ have their own alternative filters.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 12, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can have a look here: 3dfx Voodoo image quality
As I can not edit the posting anymore, all the screenshots can be found here: ftp://retronn.de/pictures/3dfx_compare/
These were taken using a VGA capture card (DVI2PCIe).

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4 of 12, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good capture cards go for as low as $20 on ebay at times. Just have a generic search for them, wait around if need be, get one and set it up, and forget software capture (not to say software filter emulation isn't a valid pursuit).

Reply 5 of 12, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

You can't take accurate screenshots from a Voodoo card, as the RAMDAC does additional filtering. There's no way to get the final image, unless you feed it into a VGA capture device.

I see no filtering happening *in* the ICS5342 RAMDAC. If there is digital filtering (upsampling) it happens before RAMDAC, if there is analog filtering, it happens after RAMDAC.

And in fact I just looked at some pictures, and the RAMDAC analog output indeed has "pi" type LC filtering.

Reply 6 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also related to screenshot accuracy but not the filter, there's also the gamma algorithm the V1+V2 cards use that's a bit incorrect and lossy (in whicn Banshee/V3 fixed). You won't be able to capture the gamma bug in screenshots either.

I haven't reproduced 3dfx gamma, but i believe a recursive lookup is involved, with the darker colors being dropped off as the gamma gets higher while overflowing brighter colors back to 0...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 12, by W Gruffydd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is what Suprgrab gives me with the gamma set to 1.0 (The default value, 1.7, is way too bright in Jedi Knight):

jkspr3.jpg
Filename
jkspr3.jpg
File size
129.58 KiB
Views
File comment
Suprgrab, default settings except gamma = 1.0
File license

You can save it and zoom in yourselves. It almost looks like they added CRT scanlines. In any case, yeah, I'll be staying away from software solutions to get accurate grabs.

Reply 10 of 12, by W Gruffydd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
elianda wrote:

You can have a look here: 3dfx Voodoo image quality
As I can not edit the posting anymore, all the screenshots can be found here: ftp://retronn.de/pictures/3dfx_compare/
These were taken using a VGA capture card (DVI2PCIe).

Very cool, thanks. This clearly shows the difference between frame-buffered shot and final image. You were able to force off the dithering filter in environmental variables for your VGA capture; I didn't know you could do such things. If this was to simulate a framebuffer shot, though, why not just use a framebuffer shot? And Voodoos can force a 24bpp mode? Woah. How does this affect framerate?

leileilol wrote:

but the voodoo1 does add purple lines to the screen which gets even more pronounced with higher gamma settings. It's not just those lines either.

Now that you mention it, I can see this effect in elianda's shots. I'm learning a lot from this thread, thanks. *Inserts pensive pipe smoker image*

Reply 11 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The "24bpp mode" is a filter toggle and shouldn't affect framerate at all.

The threshold of the filter can also be adjusted so you could make the picture much more blurrier if you'd like. This makes the filter effect even more obivous

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 12, by W Gruffydd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is a raw, uncompressed capture from a DVI2PCIe Duo. The image needs to be shifted down and to the left; I'm still playing with the settings. If this is accurate, it appears that the default gamma of Suprgrab is more accurate than I gave it credit for.

cap_0001.png
Filename
cap_0001.png
File size
386.16 KiB
Views
File comment
Voodoo on DVI2PCIe Duo
File license