VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was greatly enjoying Quake 3 on my Aureal Vortex 2 using A3D (it makes a big difference) but it occurred to me that I hadn't patched the game, so I did that and now A3D option is gone? Was this removed in a later patch? And why?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 6, by Asaki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was just talking about it over in this thread, last month: Unreal A3D?

The short answer: yes, they patched it out.

Asaki wrote:

So far, the only A3D supported game that has impressed me was Quake 3, but it has to be a REALLY old version of the game. I'm not sure exactly which versions...I know v1.0 works fine, and the demo works fine...a few newer revisions worked okay but had the stereo reversed. The Gold version seems to have had all of the A3D 2.0 support ripped out.

Edit: I'm skimming through the Q3A source code right now, and it looks like all of the A3D stuff is still in there, it's just commented out. I'm really tempted to try compiling this. Athough, when I was looking at different versions of the game before, it looked like some of the A3D information was hard-coded into the BSP maps, so I'm not sure how much good it would do. I could be wrong, however.

Reply 6 of 6, by Asaki

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

I think it's still present in 1.16n, so you can still enjoy A3D and have the game at a later, patched version 😀.

I think I tried that one and it wasn't working correctly. Maybe that's part of why they dropped support.