VOGONS

First post, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up a iMac G3 recently running System 9.

What are some good games for this setup that are special/unique for this platform - i.e. not readily available for other platforms or somehow better on this one.

I know there are heaps of early (64k, System7) games that only run on that platform, but I am not sure if Mac exclusive games were still being made after the switch to PPC.

Cheers.

Reply 1 of 6, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Anything Bungie before MS took them out, apart from Halo which won’t run well on an iMac. Myth and Myth II would be a good start.

Ambrosia Software: Escape Velocity is another tip 😀

Reply 2 of 6, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Byrd wrote:

Anything Bungie before MS took them out, apart from Halo which won’t run well on an iMac. Myth and Myth II would be a good start.

Ambrosia Software: Escape Velocity is another tip 😀

Nice, that Bungie tip was a good one 😁

Reply 4 of 6, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Not really when their last Mac exclusive games were before the G3 era.

True, it seems that Myth 2 and Oni are at least primary releases (not ports from Windows), so that would be acceptable too I guess. I doubt there is much PPC exclusive stuff I guess...we are talking about post-1995...can you imagine releasing a game in 1998 that only ran on PPC but not windows? I just want this iMac to be more than a piece of modern art.

Reply 5 of 6, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
squiggly wrote:
leileilol wrote:

Not really when their last Mac exclusive games were before the G3 era.

True, it seems that Myth 2 and Oni are at least primary releases (not ports from Windows), so that would be acceptable too I guess. I doubt there is much PPC exclusive stuff I guess...we are talking about post-1995...can you imagine releasing a game in 1998 that only ran on PPC but not windows? I just want this iMac to be more than a piece of modern art.

Tons of shareware and similar release scheme titles. Even when I bought my first Mac in 2003 that was still the case.

Reply 6 of 6, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
squiggly wrote:

Myth 2 and Oni are at least primary releases (not ports from Windows)

Both are great games, though. Loved ONI to bits, haven't seen such a cool mixture of hand-to-hand and gun combat ever since.