VOGONS

Day of The Tentacle Chopped Voice

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im using an old PC with an ISA Sound Blaster VibraC sound card and I think I have had this problem before on another PC but to fix it I had to disable the cache on the CPU to slow down the computer but the one I am using now for this post does not have a way to disable the cache and I tried a throttle.exe program but this did not work as well, other games I have tried work well with voice and sound blaster music so I dont think its the PC or sound card, is there a different way to slow down the PC with software as the bios I have is very limited maybe its from the AMD CPU K6-2 im using or are the old AMD CPU's as good as the intel ones? The game im having voice problems is Day of the Tentacle the voice starts then it stops about 2 seconds in, I have increased the buffer to the max of 64 in the settings of the game but this does nothing and the music is playing fine, I have used 5 and 7 for the IRQ. I played Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and this game works well.

Reply 1 of 7, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First, just a reminder that this game is supported by ScummVM, so you don't have to play it on an old machine.

If you are determined to play the game on old hardware, are you using the Digital Sound Update official patch from LucasArts as described here? :

https://web.archive.org/web/20000303144020/ht … atches/dott.htm

I have no idea if the file is available anymore, so I am attaching a copy.

Attachments

• Filename
    dottcd.exe
    File size
    159.81 KiB
    Downloads
    269 downloads
    File comment
    DotT Digital Sound Update from LucasArts
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 7, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That did the trick Akula65 all the speech is complete thanks millions, I have noticed at the beginning of the intro when a bird flys across the screen from left to right there is a bird chirping sound missing and then it choaks and falls down im thinking its the soundcard not the software as youtube shows this aswell. Collector the words for this forum title is (dos) "Getting old dos games working" there is no mention of "on modern systems" I dont mean to be rude but it seems this is the place from the wording maybe the web site moderators/owner can change it to represent modern systems.

Reply 4 of 7, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glad to hear it.

Since I'm sure somebody will eventually ask about the other files on that LucasArts Support page, I will go ahead and post them here as well.

If anyone knows of mirrors for the files, please post.

Attachments

• Filename
    dottfix.exe
    File size
    125.63 KiB
    Downloads
    233 downloads
    File comment
    DotT Music Update for CD-ROM from Lucas Arts
    File license
  • Filename
    upgrade.exe
    File size
    1.25 MiB
    Downloads
    147 downloads
    File comment
    DotT Roland Upgrade for Floppy Version from LucasArts
    File license

Reply 6 of 7, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GabrielKnight123 wrote:

I have noticed at the beginning of the intro when a bird flys across the screen from left to right there is a bird chirping sound missing and then it choaks and falls down

The chirping sound is played through MIDI. Even when playing this game using ScummVM, you won't get the chirping sound unless you set the audio device to General MIDI. I guess it simply won't work on SoundBlaster cards.

Reply 7 of 7, by Eimer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
akula65 wrote on 2018-01-27, 15:34:
First, just a reminder that this game is supported by ScummVM, so you don't have to play it on an old machine. […]
Show full quote

First, just a reminder that this game is supported by ScummVM, so you don't have to play it on an old machine.

If you are determined to play the game on old hardware, are you using the Digital Sound Update official patch from LucasArts as described here? :

https://web.archive.org/web/20000303144020/ht … atches/dott.htm

I have no idea if the file is available anymore, so I am attaching a copy.

I tried this this gives me "can't open monster.sou" error.
my DOTT is from a german collection disk, maybe incompatible with it?