VOGONS

Fastest CPU Descent 1 can handle?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This game is far to fun to not run a modern port. I run DXX-Rebirth on my current E5 xeon amdgpu debian workstation. I have very hard saves for those times I want to pop into a hopeless situation and die within minutes, then back to the thought...
It must be the best example of old into the new of any game. Seems flawless.

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 21 of 25, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

P200 is not enough to cause Descent work at increased speed.

Get up, come on get down with the sickness
Open up your hate, and let it flow into me

Reply 22 of 25, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jmarsh wrote on 2021-03-25, 17:33:

Most of Descent is programmed to handle variable framerates so there was no need to limit the maximum framerate. But unfortunately a few things slipped through and still update per frame instead of per ms, the most notable being the ship bobbing (which gives the sense that the entire game is running faster when it's not) and the tracking rate for homing missiles.

On a related note, I was recently informed that there is a simple hack to disable ship bobbing in both Descent and Descent II:
http://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/descent-ship-bobbing
Might help it be less annoying on fast CPUs, or if you suffer from motion sickness.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 23 of 25, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No problems for single player but you probably wouldn't want to do that if you ever intended doing any PvP (although I doubt anyone is still using the original builds for that) - viewing the map screen makes your ship visibly stop bobbing for other players so it was considered an AFK/"don't shoot me" indicator. Having a permanently unbobbing ship would have been considered cheating.

Reply 24 of 25, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jmarsh wrote on 2021-03-28, 00:00:

No problems for single player but you probably wouldn't want to do that if you ever intended doing any PvP (although I doubt anyone is still using the original builds for that) - viewing the map screen makes your ship visibly stop bobbing for other players so it was considered an AFK/"don't shoot me" indicator. Having a permanently unbobbing ship would have been considered cheating.

Interesting. I actually have to wonder if that would be even theoretically possible. There is a good possibility that if some players ran the normal build and others ran the no-bobbing hack, multiplayer games would desync. Thus, you could only play like this if everyone did the same.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 25 of 25, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Descent doesn't really suffer from desync, clients just update other clients with changes to their status. There's no prediction or sanity checking. You can have a ship that is impervious to damage and moves five times faster than normal and other players won't be able to touch it.