VOGONS

First post, by Arbys Guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well i pulled a Z100ATAPI zip disk drive out of a recent haul i got and was trying to install drivers under windows 98 se on a asus a7v133 rev1.05
i downloaded IomegaWare Tools 4.02 from http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … &menustate=34,0
but the first time i attempted to install it it froze on updating driver library, the second time after uninstalling from add/remove it worked but the drive is not showing up in my computer. when i put a zip disk in the drive the light flashes and then stops. ive never installed a zip drive before, i was a bit naive i thought windows 98 se would have drivers preloaded for it.
The drive does show up when i boot the computer so the motherboard is detecting it. but windows does not detect it to my knowledge, there was no new hardware wizard pop up or anything .
this motherboard has VIA chipset ive heard lots of bad things, should i just try on another motherboard?

41ZnT0-PaTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/url]

Reply 1 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You don't need any drivers, the Zip100 IDE works out-of-the-box in Windows 98.

Try GUEST.EXE in plain DOS. If that doesn't work, there's something wrong with the drive. (there's a Guest95 for Win9x as well, but test DOS first)

Reply 2 of 7, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I find these drives are pretty resilient - Indeed I've had about 10 go through my hands recently (two external LPT, one external USB, one SCSI internal, and the rest were IDE internal) and only one was broken internally - there's a solenoid/transformer release in there, and it actually melted the load mechanism.

Try a clean boot and get a copy of GUEST.EXE though, as mentioned above.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 3 of 7, by Arbys Guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jed118 wrote:

I find these drives are pretty resilient - Indeed I've had about 10 go through my hands recently (two external LPT, one external USB, one SCSI internal, and the rest were IDE internal) and only one was broken internally - there's a solenoid/transformer release in there, and it actually melted the load mechanism.

Try a clean boot and get a copy of GUEST.EXE though, as mentioned above.

Will do thanks!

Reply 4 of 7, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want, I can dropbox you the files off the original CDROM I've used to get each and every one of my ZIP disks to work. I know it will work in 95 and 98. Let me know in a PM and I'll send you a link.

*Edit I just used it on a 486DLC with SCSI on it.

Reply 5 of 7, by Arbys Guy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jed118 wrote:

If you want, I can dropbox you the files off the original CDROM I've used to get each and every one of my ZIP disks to work. I know it will work in 95 and 98. Let me know in a PM and I'll send you a link.

I actually ended up poping it in GA-6bxc rev 1.7 mobo and it works great with fresh install of windows 98 se. id still love to have the driver in my driver collection so feel free to pm it to me, thanks btw!

Reply 6 of 7, by ErnieHodge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jed118 wrote on 2018-02-09, 04:52:

I just found this forum and this older post. I could use these files as well if they are still available. Thanks for any help or reply, Ernie

Reply 7 of 7, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ErnieHodge wrote on 2023-01-13, 20:07:
Jed118 wrote on 2018-02-09, 04:52:

I just found this forum and this older post. I could use these files as well if they are still available. Thanks for any help or reply, Ernie

Sure - PM me, we'll figure something out.