VOGONS

First post, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

Having an issue whereby Doom is hard resetting the system when I press fire once I am in the game. As soon as i hit Control it hard reboots. Game runs fine in the demo loop in the menu however.

System is a 386DX40 w/4MB Ram, Soundcard is a Aztech Multimedia Pro 16 IIB.

I'm not sure but I don't think it hard locks when I have sound disabled, also same thing happens in Wolf3D strangely enough.. press fire and a hard reset.

Reply 2 of 18, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Xs1nX wrote:
Hi all, […]
Show full quote

Hi all,

Having an issue whereby Doom is hard resetting the system when I press fire once I am in the game. As soon as i hit Control it hard reboots. Game runs fine in the demo loop in the menu however.

System is a 386DX40 w/4MB Ram, Soundcard is a Aztech Multimedia Pro 16 IIB.

I'm not sure but I don't think it hard locks when I have sound disabled, also same thing happens in Wolf3D strangely enough.. press fire and a hard reset.

Try other games, if the issue happens with digital sounds in all games it's probably an IRQ or DMA conflict. It may have to do with memory not playing well with board's DMA..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 18, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What soundcard do you use? and what settings?
Are you using a memory manager?

For best compatibility with old games, I'd suggest IO:220, IRQ:7 and DMA:1 assuming you use a soundblaster-type card.
Just be sure your LPT1 port is disabled or assigned to a different IRQ.

Cheers

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3

Reply 4 of 18, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So i have tried every single combination I can think of of DMA/IRQ and PORT and all lead to the same problem happening, at some point Doom is gonna freeze up and/or hard reset the system.

Really frustrating.

Reply 5 of 18, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tpowell.ca wrote:

What soundcard do you use? and what settings?
Are you using a memory manager?

Soundcard is a Aztech Multimedia Pro 16 IIB
No Im not using anything but the bare minimum in config.sys and autoexec.bat to get Doom to run. Which is basicly just sound setup stuff.

Reply 6 of 18, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I worked tech support for a game company during that time period. There were 3 major reasons when someone called that was usually why they were having a problem with our products.

1. They were running a dos overlay of some sort. It was trendy about that time and every company had their own version of it. All of them caused more problems than they solved.
2. They had a video card with 2MB RAM or greater.
3. By far the most common, They were running an Aztech sound card.

I know there is a guy on here that swears Aztech makes good cards but the ones during the Doom/Doom 2 time period were a major source of problems. Anyways, maybe the Aztech guy is around here to give you a hand.

Reply 7 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote:
I worked tech support for a game company during that time period. There were 3 major reasons when someone called that was usual […]
Show full quote

I worked tech support for a game company during that time period. There were 3 major reasons when someone called that was usually why they were having a problem with our products.

1. They were running a dos overlay of some sort. It was trendy about that time and every company had their own version of it. All of them caused more problems than they solved.

I know there is a guy on here that swears Aztech makes good cards but the ones during the Doom/Doom 2 time period were a major source of problems. Anyways, maybe the Aztech guy is around here to give you a hand.

Interesting statistics... what was wrong with a 2MB vga? badly written software? Did you ever get any explanation/clue at the time?
I had no idea about Aztech cards, good to know.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 8 of 18, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shagittarius wrote:

I am running a Drive Overlay, namely Ontrack Disk Manager..

Reply 9 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nah Disk Manager should not cause this I've ran it for years without such issues. Have you tried removing your soundcard completely?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 18, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
Shagittarius wrote:
I worked tech support for a game company during that time period. There were 3 major reasons when someone called that was usual […]
Show full quote

Interesting statistics... what was wrong with a 2MB vga? badly written software? Did you ever get any explanation/clue at the time?
I had no idea about Aztech cards, good to know.

Haha, yes bad software, this was about Air Warrior SVGA, or at least whatever the current version was at the time. Whenever we got an Air Warrior call it was usually because someone had one of those new-fangled Diamond Stealth cards with the whopping 2MB Ram. I believe Diamond Stealth is the correct card for the time period. 2MB was definitely not standard at that time and I'm sure other games had issues as well but ours definitely did. Usually the people who called were satisfied to hear that they couldn't run the game because their video card was "Too Good". Given the option to downgrade or return the game to the store, since no patch was incoming, they usually returned the game.

Reply 13 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Shagittarius
thanks for the info, interesting again

@Xs1nX
well check your ram and cache could be a faulty region in them... it might worth to check your PSU as well
could also be your BIOS settings, too low timings that the current ram/cache can't handle

Reply 15 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ old versions work, experiment a little and you'll find one. IIRC it was 2xx that still worked on old systems

edit:
yep, 2.01

2K4uzzgl.jpg

Reply 16 of 18, by Xs1nX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:
^ old versions work, experiment a little and you'll find one. IIRC it was 2xx that still worked on old systems […]
Show full quote

^ old versions work, experiment a little and you'll find one. IIRC it was 2xx that still worked on old systems

edit:
yep, 2.01

2K4uzzgl.jpg

Got a link to the 2.01 floppy image ? i cant find it.

Reply 17 of 18, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

THIS -->

Xs1nX wrote:

Got a link to the 2.01 floppy image ? i cant find it.

Please 😎

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3