VOGONS

Help to identify NEC disks

Topic actions

First post, by ArtiomWin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello. My collection includes two NEC Product Recovery CDs with following part numbers: 171600-01 (1997-07-09) and 171810-01 (1998-03-17), and I need help in identifying NEC models for which these CDs are intended for since I can't find manuals for legacy NEC consumer models (incl. service and reference ones). I think it should be in NEC Ready lineup, as part numbers of CDs for NEC Ready Pro 97xxES are 171635-00 (Ethernet models) and 171635-03 (fax/modem models).

P.S. If you have information on Companion CDs paired to these Recovery CDs (or even these CDs themselves), please let me know.

Reply 1 of 23, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought an NEC Ready 9840 233 MHz Pentium MMX system back in May 1998. I still have the system, the box and all of the contents. Here are some photos of the box and disks:

Attachments

• 18020800.JPG
    Filename
    18020800.JPG
    File size
    354.37 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    NEC Ready 9840 Product Recovery CD-ROM
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 18020804.JPG
    Filename
    18020804.JPG
    File size
    400.75 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    NEC Ready 9840 Box Label Part 3
    File license
  • 18020803.JPG
    Filename
    18020803.JPG
    File size
    368.82 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    NEC Ready 9840 Box Label Part 2
    File license
  • 18020802.JPG
    Filename
    18020802.JPG
    File size
    385.58 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    NEC Ready 9840 Box Label Part 1
    File license
  • 18020801.JPG
    Filename
    18020801.JPG
    File size
    237.73 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    NEC Ready 9840 Box Label Complete
    File license

Reply 2 of 23, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Additional NEC Ready 9840 CD-ROM Photos:

Attachments

• 18020808.JPG
    Filename
    18020808.JPG
    File size
    331.61 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    NEC Ready 9840 MS Encarta 98 CD-ROM
    File license
  • 18020807.JPG
    Filename
    18020807.JPG
    File size
    371.5 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    NEC Ready 9840 MS Greetings Workshop CD-ROM
    File license
  • 18020806.JPG
    Filename
    18020806.JPG
    File size
    350.36 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    NEC Ready 9840 Phone Book CD-ROM
    File license
  • 18020805.JPG
    Filename
    18020805.JPG
    File size
    351.51 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    NEC Ready 9840 Merlin CD-ROM
    File license

Reply 4 of 23, by sleepcircle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
akula65 wrote on 2018-02-08, 20:53:

Additional NEC Ready 9840 CD-ROM Photos:

I apologize for necro-ing a thread this old but I have a rather curious story to tell.

I have a friend who had, a very long time ago, a brand new NEC Ready computer, with Merlin, and the wall-paper and everything. Things being what they are, the computer gradually got cluttered. They used the recovery disk to reinstall the operating system, and Merlin disappeared. No help from the people who sold them the computer, and NEC also apparently was no help.

Akula65, Your post seems to be the only thing on the internet that even gives any indication that Merlin came on a CD-ROM.

My friend really wants to find Merlin again. I realize this is ridiculous but, please, if it is at all possible, could you make an ISO of that disc or … or SOMETHING? I'd also accept just straight up buying the physical disc from you, but honestly, this disc might be extremely rare so it might be a good idea to have an online back-up of its contents, in any case.

Reply 5 of 23, by ArtiomWin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sleepcircle wrote on 2020-11-26, 02:37:

I apologize for necro-ing a thread this old but I have a rather curious story to tell.

Don't worry, it's okay.

sleepcircle wrote on 2020-11-26, 02:37:

My friend really wants to find Merlin again. I realize this is ridiculous but, please, if it is at all possible, could you make an ISO of that disc or … or SOMETHING? I'd also accept just straight up buying the physical disc from you, but honestly, this disc might be extremely rare so it might be a good idea to have an online back-up of its contents, in any case.

Gladly, this year I've finally found CD image for NEC Merlin, so I can send PM to source.

Reply 7 of 23, by MattJH!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello! I found this thread via Google and just created an account to join the Merlin party. I've looked far and wide and I think this is the only thread on the internet that exists with an actual photo of an install CD! What peculiar timing for this to have just been bumped, too. Not too long ago I found my original NEC Ready software booklet from 1996:

nec-cd-booklet.jpg
Filename
nec-cd-booklet.jpg
File size
960.72 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

In it was my NEC 962X recovery CD (note "Tri Films Merlin II"):

nec-recovery-cd.jpg
Filename
nec-recovery-cd.jpg
File size
750.14 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

And something I've had living in the vague recesses of my memory for decades now -- a standalone installer for Merlin himself, version 2.0:

nec-merlin-cd.jpg
Filename
nec-merlin-cd.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

As you can see, my Merlin is an earlier version than what Akula65 shared a photo of from their 1998 batch and, presumably, what ArtiomWin found in their 1997 batch. Until recently, it never even occurred to me that there could be multiple editions. I'm intrigued.

Anyway, I really wanted to see the actual videos again, but my Win 10 machines predictably wanted nothing to do with SETUP.EXE no matter what I did. I ended up teaching myself how to bring up a virtual XP desktop using Oracle's VirtualBox so that I had something I could actually install it on, and then I pulled all of the extracted data (videos, bitmaps, etc.) from the C:\Merlin install directory. Then I played around with video/audio encoding in VirtualDub until the videos were finally in a format that YouTube would accept.

This is the complete two minute first boot intro from Merlin 2.0 on a brand new NEC Ready Windows 95 system in 1996 -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCn8RvLcyS4

And here are the other 32 minutes, all tutorials and tours compiled together -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjQfyzqcrIg

What a zany period piece this is. I forgot how much the 90s loved multimedia-anything! I would love to know the name of the actor who portrayed Merlin, but I couldn't find any credits on my CD. Speaking of, I also added Merlin 2.0 to archive.org here: https://archive.org/details/NECMerlin. It includes a .zip of the actual C:\Merlin data so that you don't have to bother with virtual machines to browse the contents from a modern computer. The Merlin 2.0 ISO is included for good measure.

Akula65 and ArtiomWin -- if there's anything I could do to help you do the same with your Merlin CDs, please reach out to me. These are pretty rare and I'd be happy to help!

Reply 8 of 23, by ArtiomWin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MattJH! wrote on 2020-12-17, 18:05:
In it was my NEC 962X recovery CD (note "Tri Films Merlin II"): […]
Show full quote

In it was my NEC 962X recovery CD (note "Tri Films Merlin II"):

nec-recovery-cd.jpg

And something I've had living in the vague recesses of my memory for decades now -- a standalone installer for Merlin himself, version 2.0:

nec-merlin-cd.jpg

I've downloaded your copy, but only yesterday have looked at Vogons. Can you also upload recovery CD also? Next day after you've uploaded your Merlin CD, another NEC recovery CD have pop-up, this time for Ready 7610 (earlier one, timestamp 12 March 1996). Also I would like to get disk for first version of Merlin and boot floppy (both for recovery CD for NEC Ready 7022-9232). I already have boot floppy, but not recovery CD for Ready 5010 (found at same place where Merlin copy was), and I don't think CD found on eBay would be the one.

Reply 9 of 23, by MattJH!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ArtiomWin wrote on 2020-12-25, 12:07:

Can you also upload recovery CD also?

Sure can. Here you go: https://archive.org/details/NECReady962X. If you manage to install this, would you mind making the extracted content available? I'm looking for the Merlin data specifically.

ArtiomWin wrote on 2020-12-25, 12:07:

Next day after you've uploaded your Merlin CD, another NEC recovery CD have pop-up, this time for Ready 7610 (earlier one, timestamp 12 March 1996).

Yep! That one is thanks to Reddit user Titannel: https://www.reddit.com/r/ObscureMedia/comment … 5_days/gf13j8n/

Reply 10 of 23, by ArtiomWin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MattJH! wrote on 2020-12-26, 16:04:

Sure can. Here you go: https://archive.org/details/NECReady962X. If you manage to install this, would you mind making the extracted content available? I'm looking for the Merlin data specifically.

I haven't tried your CD yet, but I've PMd you copy of Merlin folder from TitanSix's CD.

Reply 11 of 23, by MattJH!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ArtiomWin wrote on 2020-12-26, 20:28:

I've PMd you copy of Merlin folder from TitanSix's CD.

Amazing. Thank you! Unfortunately, those video files only play audio on my end. I tried a few different programs. I wonder if the actual video output is embedded elsewhere on the CD. Oh well, I appreciate the attempt!

Reply 12 of 23, by ArtiomWin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MattJH! wrote on 2020-12-26, 20:52:

Amazing. Thank you! Unfortunately, those video files only play audio on my end. I tried a few different programs. I wonder if the actual video output is embedded elsewhere on the CD. Oh well, I appreciate the attempt!

No, video files here are complete and play successfully on included Quicktime 2.0 for Windows.

Attachments

Reply 13 of 23, by MattJH!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ArtiomWin wrote on 2020-12-28, 19:07:

No, video files here are complete and play successfully on included Quicktime 2.0 for Windows.

I stand corrected. They're working for me now. I had to reboot for some reason. Thank you very much for this!

Reply 14 of 23, by ArtiomWin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MattJH! wrote on 2020-12-17, 18:05:

Anyway, I really wanted to see the actual videos again, but my Win 10 machines predictably wanted nothing to do with SETUP.EXE no matter what I did. I ended up teaching myself how to bring up a virtual XP desktop using Oracle's VirtualBox so that I had something I could actually install it on, and then I pulled all of the extracted data (videos, bitmaps, etc.) from the C:\Merlin install directory. Then I played around with video/audio encoding in VirtualDub until the videos were finally in a format that YouTube would accept.

Also, why you've used VirtualBox for extraction?

Reply 15 of 23, by MattJH!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ArtiomWin wrote on 2020-12-28, 19:36:

Also, why you've used VirtualBox for extraction?

My Windows 10 x64 machine wouldn't execute Merlin's setup.exe installer no matter which compatibility mode I chose. I tried using 7zip to access the data file, but I didn't have any luck there either. In order to actually install Merlin and get at its program files, I had to use a virtual XP box. There might have been an easier way! That's just how I ended up doing it.

Reply 16 of 23, by ArtiomWin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MattJH! wrote on 2020-12-28, 19:53:

There might have been an easier way! That's just how I ended up doing it.

Yes, it is. You could install/recover your system on 86Box, and then take files from virtual hard drive with WinImage or something else. On VirtualBox I wouldn't get those screens with 256 colors.

Reply 17 of 23, by MattJH!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ArtiomWin wrote on 2020-12-28, 20:14:

Yes, it is. You could install/recover your system on 86Box, and then take files from virtual hard drive with WinImage or something else. On VirtualBox I wouldn't get those screens with 256 colors.

Whoooah. Thanks for telling me about this. I've never heard of 86Box. I'm grabbing it now.

Reply 18 of 23, by ArtiomWin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MattJH! wrote on 2020-12-26, 16:04:

Now I'm "recovering" system from your CD. Despite it's bootable, the Packard Bell PB640 couldn't boot from it, so I had to extract OSBOOT floppy. I can see all the results tomorrow.

Reply 19 of 23, by MattJH!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ArtiomWin wrote on 2020-12-29, 20:51:

Now I'm "recovering" system from your CD. Despite it's bootable, the Packard Bell PB640 couldn't boot from it, so I had to extract OSBOOT floppy. I can see all the results tomorrow.

Excellent! I appreciate your efforts. If your extraction is successful, would it be possible for me to browse its contents somehow? It's been two decades since and I'd very much like to see it again, one more time.

Last edited by MattJH! on 2021-03-22, 16:47. Edited 2 times in total.