VOGONS

First post, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I recently acquired an old machine with a 750mhz Pentium III, 256mb of RAM (expandable to 512mb) and an ATI Rage Mobility 128 Pro. Surprisingly when I tried the original Max Payne on it, it ran beautifully at medium details at 800x600, and even smoother at 640x480. My question is, are there any other DX8 or DX9 based games that can still run on older DX7 hardware? If so, what are some of them? I'd love to test this laptop out some more.

Reply 1 of 7, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your graphic card is DirectX 6 capable, meaning it has no support for Hardware TnL, having said that, i know that these games should run (given enough VRAM and/or AGP aperture):
Max Payne
Max Payne 2
GTA 3 (12MB VRAM)
GTA Vice City (16MB VRAM)
GTA San Andreas (64MB VRAM)
Need For speed all up to Most Wanted (2005)
Unreal, Unreal 2, Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal Tournament 2004
Quake 1 up to 3
Counter Strike
Every Source Engine based game (only in older pre 2006 versions of the engine)
Mafia
Serious Sam The First Encounter/Second Encounter
Warcraft 3 - Frozen Throne
Shadow Ops Red Mercury
Older 3D based Worms games

Later I will do a post about a similar machine but with a P3 900MHz, 384MB of RAM and a Savage IX with 8MB of SGRAM, comparing to a Duron 900MHZ with a Rage Pro Turbo 8MB, and I will use all of the games menctioned in the list.

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 2 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note that this subforum is for older Windows games on newer systems. Old hardware related questions should be asked in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 7, by Zuon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

Note that this subforum is for older Windows games on newer systems. Old hardware related questions should be asked in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

For some reason this doesn't make sense to me. My question was about games, not on hardware advice. But I supposed it is a bit of a gray topic. I'll accept it.

Reply 5 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zuon wrote:
collector wrote:

For some reason this doesn't make sense to me. My question was about games, not on hardware advice. But I supposed it is a bit of a gray topic. I'll accept it.

Marvin has a specific subforum for posts like this, called "Software".

Max Payne was designed to be run on Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows ME. (Windows XP was tested, but not officially supported, shortly after the game was released in 2001.)

If your current host operating system for the game is one of the above, then, basically, your topic belongs in Marvin -> Software. (Windows XP is kinda a borderline call.)

If your current host operating system for the game is (possibly Windows XP), Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10, then your topic belongs in Windows, since that forum is specifically for running old Windows games natively on newer operating systems than the game shipped with support for.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Rmemeber there's plenty of games that would support DX6/7 because of how ubiquitous the GF2MX and GF4MX cards were at one point in 2002-2005, the GF4MX being DX7 at best, and DX7 being pretty much a T&L+Cubemaps over DX6 (apart from the huge backend rework, this is a gross oversimplification)

Early games that started requiring pixel shaders tend to be of the AAA kind that had Xbox ports.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 7, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos is such an example. It only uses DirectX 8 for its online features and force-installs it during the setup.

But if you remove it with DirectX Buster and reinstall DX7, the singleplayer mode works fine. 😀

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"