VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I want to install Win9x or Me on a system with Boot from USB HDD support but no optical media, is Rufus + Windows install ISO the way to go about doing this?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 5, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the worst case, copy the WinXP files to bootable USB HDD, boot from USB HDD, prepare the HDD (partition/format/sys) if necessary, copy the install files to HDD and start installation from there. I've done something similar in the past.

Reply 3 of 5, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Auzner wrote:

Why not try it?
GRUB supports boot from ISO. I've thought about setting up a high capacity USB stick with a bunch of OS installer ISOs.

Well, I for one would be very interested..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Instead of doing this, use ISOLINUX and MEMDISK (maybe Rufus does this automatically) to boot a Win98SE floppy, copy the cabs over to a directory on the target HDD, and run the install. So much more convenient for any future hardware changes.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 5 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember I used a Windows 98 laptop for that purpose.
I used FDISK and FORMAT X: /S on the USB Drive, then copyied WIN98 and DRIVERS from the CD-ROM to it.

(I also remember to have used that HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool on a pen drive at some point.
I inserted the original Win 98SE Start-Up floppy when it asked me for a bootable diskette.
After the drive was bootable, I copied the folders WIN98 and DRIVERS to it (no ISO image).
Once booted, I believe it was possible to access the folders either directly or by switching to another
drive letter first, C: or D:. Installation was started by running WIN98\Setup.exe.)

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//