VOGONS

First post, by squiggly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.pcgamesn.com/steam-2018-windows-xp-update

So you don't need to repurchase all your old Steam games on GoG to get a stand-alone installer....for now.

Reply 1 of 4, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still need to finish putting together a cloneable WinXP Steam games install on my "modern" (~2010) AM3 system. I just never seem to want to spend time on it, but I should probably get it done.

I've installed that XP32 image in IDE mode, in the belief that it will stand a better chance of transferring to a different motherboard in the future.
I disabled "Steam Guard" a long time ago, because that relaxes the security surrounding the Steam account, such that I think it will be more cloneable. I have a long password that I'm not worried about being cracked.
Once everything is installed, I'll put it in "offline mode".
I think there's also some additional, sparsely documented change that needs to be made to some Steam config file in order to prevent it from ever trying to update itself (which it will otherwise do, despite being in Offline mode).

The hope is that if all this is done correctly, I'll have a cloneable WinXP install with working Steam library that can be used in perpetuity.
But this whole issue is why I hate online DRM, and have tended to avoid buying games through Steam when possible.

Reply 2 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I haven't clicked the link, but i'm assuming all the comments are "xp its is old it 20 year old its dinosaur pcs valve!!!! droop the xp support and 7 suport and 8 suport its phatetic too not suport modern C++ feature's"

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 4, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That sums what the short article said:
"clinging to the past"
"ancient in PC terms"
"old computers"
"you won’t be running anything much more recent"
"released way back in 2008"