VOGONS

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have completed a 1995 era specific build this week. Now I am looking for a list of games released for Windows 95 in the year 1995? I cant imagine there were a whole lot since the first version of W95 was released in late August of the year.

Also, if any of these games were also made for DOS then do the Windows versions bring anything special to the game?

Last edited by fsmith2003 on 2018-03-07, 02:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cyberspeed, Virtual Stupidity, Pressure Drop, Under Pressure. I'm trying hard to avoid the Win32s and Win16 "compatible with windows 95" stuff from memory.

You can probably wiggle Doom into it as there is a late 95 release of Doom95 that's a bit older and obscure to hunt down (and should not be confused with WinDoom which is win32s)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 16, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fsmith2003 wrote:

Also, if any of these games were also made for DOS then do the Windows versions bring anything special to the game?

Huge slow down
Abe's Oddysee got blurred in higher res

Reply 7 of 16, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
einr wrote:
derSammler wrote:

Fury³

Actually runs on Win 3.1 with Win32s as well 😀

Err... that's the whole point of Win32s: bringing the Win32 api to Win3.1x so you can run Win95 apps with it. The Fury³ box says "Designed for Windows 95". If Win32s is a no-go, then you can only list games that uses DirectX, and in 1995, there were probably none. First widely used version of DirectX was 2.0 and that's already from 1996.

Reply 8 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derSammler wrote:

If Win32s is a no-go, then you can only list games that uses DirectX, and in 1995, there were probably none.

Cyberspeed is one of the earliest GDKDirectX games ever so that's certainly one. I think Locus was another

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 16, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like Pitfall was released for Win3.x in 1994. So are there any advantages to the Windows 95 version which was released in August 95?

Cyber speed looks like it may be one of the first exclusives being released in December.

Reply 11 of 16, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fsmith2003 wrote:

Looks like Pitfall was released for Win3.x in 1994. So are there any advantages to the Windows 95 version which was released in August 95?

Cyber speed looks like it may be one of the first exclusives being released in December.

Not sure if it was really released for Win3.x... but in 1994 it was released for consoles - Genesis, SNES, Jaguar...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitfall:_The_Mayan_Adventure

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 12 of 16, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wasn't the first version of SU-27 Flanker heavily marketed as specifically designed for WIn95?

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 13 of 16, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting as I am currently building my unisys cwd-486 dx2/66 without cache as a win95 system.

- Pitfall the Mayan Adventure is to slow on that machine.
- Lemmings (win3x) does work good.
- BattleChess (Win3x) does work great, but is missing digisounds because of the "multitasking". To bad that this was never fixed.
- Civ1 (win3x) does run very well to.
- Pirates Gold (win3x) runs good.

I am collecting AAA-Titles that are very playable on that machine, either on win95a or Win3x. I have also installed Dos, OS2 Warp3 and WinNT 3.51 on that machine.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 14 of 16, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
senrew wrote:

Wasn't the first version of SU-27 Flanker heavily marketed as specifically designed for WIn95?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/su-27-f … eShotId,357636/

Wow! that looks great...but will perhaps be too slow on a 486 DX2/66 (without cache).
I can change to CPU to a DX4/100 AMD or INTEL but I have no clue if that brings a marginal performance-boost
and I also don't know about the TDP of a DX4 instead of a DX2/66, because it's a very tiny litte machine.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 16 of 16, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yay, I loved playing Hover when I was little ! ^^
3D Pinball ran on Win32s, though (it's such a bad, bad boy! 😉 )

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//