VOGONS

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As we cover something similar for web browsers, I thought i'd start one about games that are Free Software. Latest versions only. No source ports (otherwise this list would be cluttered with them) and no media-only projects (no binary = no assurance of compatibility), only exceptions being sole implementations (i.e. cdogs sdl)

Since I can't really make a table list here, i'll go in order from earliest windows to work a game.

"Out-of-the-box" OSes tested without KernelEx and service packs.

Entries in green also work on NT4.

Windows 95:
A7xpg
Gunroar 0.15
Kobo Deluxe 0.5.1
Hex-a-Hop 1.1.0
Meritous 1.1
Mirror Magic II v2.0.2**********
mu-cade v1.11
noiz2sa v0.51
Ri-Li 2.0.1
Torus Trooper v0.22
Titanion v0.3

Windows 95B (IE3 installed)::
SolarWolf

Windows 95C (IE4 installed):
Armagetron Advanced v0.2.8.3.4*

Windows 98SE (IE5 installed, DirectX 6.1, Winsock 2):
Alex the Allegator 4 v1.1
Crticial Mass aka Critter
Cube 2005_08_29
Dope Wars 1.5.12
Which Way Is Up? v0.7.0

Windows Me (IE5.5 installed, DirectX 7.1, Winsock 2):
PowerManga 0.8

Windows 98/ME with KernelEx and DirectX9 installed (Unlikely to ever work in Win95):
Nexuiz 2.5.2
OpenArena 0.8.8
Overgod

Could be fixed:
rRootage (game and SDL recently got recompiled with a newer GCC)
Parsec47 (same as rRootage)
Tumiki Fighters (SDL got replaced with a newer recompile, take an older dll to drop in and it'll work on 95 again)

Previous versions that worked on Win9x not too long ago:
FreeCiv 2.2.7 SDL
OpenTTD 1.8.0 (last version with a Win9X build)

Hopelessly broken:

BZFlag
C-Dogs SDL (SDL2)
Nethack 3.6.0 (requires Windows 7)
Sauerbraten
Warsow
Xonotic

* - requires IE4
** - requires Winsock 2
**********- there's also a dos version of this

Last edited by leileilol on 2020-06-18, 04:10. Edited 6 times in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 1 of 3, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nexuiz 2.5.2 confirmed working on Win98SE (Kernelex & DirectX 9.0b installed.) Probably means most other DarkPlaces games will work too.

Expect only pain with an 8MB Rage Mobility though.

To be honest, I don't know why I thought this would be a good idea.

nex98.jpg
Filename
nex98.jpg
File size
246.97 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Indeed it works 😜

Seems to have a Winsock2 problem in stock Windows98se (desires the winsock2 from XP for freeaddrinfo - this could be fixed by recompiling with ReactOS's wspiapi.h). There was an earlier point in time when that did work in Windows 95... Here's Nexuiz 2.5.2 on PCem's emulated voodoo2 SLI. It's very very unplayable (I argued for LOD meshes in the day but they claimed they didn't need them 😐 )

I did run this on a Voodoo3 3000 a decade back in an earlier 2.x version. It was 'playable' but not much more than what i'm seeing here.

it might, MIGHT maybe help to run a Noesis batch script to decimate all the models down automatically to use less geometry, but that's a theory and etc. theory etc. theory and i forget if a darkplaces that old works with an IQM that new.

Attachments

• pcemnex.jpg
    Filename
    pcemnex.jpg
    File size
    231.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 3, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bump, added OpenTTD and FreeCiv to a new part of the list (Previous versions that worked on Win9x not too long ago:) due to recent platform-regressive developments. There's also got to be more of these recent enough games working on Win9x out there. OpenTTD has media projects so that qualifies as a whole game now.

apsosig.png
long live PCem