VOGONS

First post, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in the 90s I had a DOS menu program that I really liked. It was easy to use and setting up sub menus was a breeze. I do not remember what it was called and I have searched around online and have never found anything that looks like it. It didn't really have any graphics to it's interface (it looked similar to a lot of setup/installation menus for games). It could have been done with the DOS default character set. I remember that apart from adding sub menus and naming items about the only thing you could do to customize it was change the colours. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I would love to have it back again. It may have been programmed by an amateur at home, maybe that is why I have never seen it anywhere. I am not sure how I got it in the first place.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
16MB 72-pin SIMM RAM (2x8MB)
1MB Diamond Speedstar Pro VLB video card
SB 16 Value CT2770
AOpen VI15G Socket 3 Motherboard
HDD/FDD VLB controller card

Reply 2 of 13, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry, no. I had a quick look at that and that wasn't it.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 3 of 13, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been searching online and there are a lot of DOS menu programs. I have not found the one I am looking for but some of them have been interesting. QuickMenu III is quite powerful it seems. Does anybody know what the dimensions of the .PCX file need to be in order to use it for a background image? How many colours can it have?

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 4 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rick12373 wrote:

QuickMenu III is quite powerful it seems. Does anybody know what the dimensions of the .PCX file need to be in order to use it for a background image? How many colours can it have?

Looks like 640x416 and 16 colors. It will tile smaller images and display higher-color images, but only in 16 colors.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 5 of 13, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there is also a 2018 text-based launcher here: New MS-DOS Games Launcher / Menu System App , might be of interest

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 13, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not sure this is what you mean, but my actual retro gaming PC has an old menu system I use called:

Fastmenu Gold

Can't recall which version right off hand, and I do remember that it had nag screens so you would buy it and be able to customize it a bit more I believe? Still it was pretty easy to learn and allows you setup categories for your software. So I remember I have like an Arcade category where all the arcade ports of games would be found, along with a Space Combat category that mainly has all my Wing Commander games within it.

Basically it would work by creating a small .bat file when you created the menus for each game. So it would basically start the game for you, and the .bat had a command to bring it back to fastmenu when you exited the game.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 7 of 13, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have decided to use the more advanced QuikMenu III anyway. I don't think I will ever find the same program I used back in the day. In regards to the wallpaper I tried a .PCX that was 640x416 and 16 colors but it gives an error message. Can't remember what the message was as I am at work right now. I converted a .JPG to a 16 colour .PCX using IrfanView but I think it is not saving it as a true .PCX. Neopaint also would not open it. I need a program that converts a .JPG to a compatible .PCX. I might try and load the image in to Neopaint and then save it as a PCX.

* Had a look at Fastmenu Gold and that is not it either. It was a bit more basic looking than that.

** It is not Launchbox either.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 8 of 13, by cripster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rick12373 wrote:

Back in the 90s I had a DOS menu program that I really liked. It was easy to use and setting up sub menus was a breeze. I do not remember what it was called and I have searched around online and have never found anything that looks like it. It didn't really have any graphics to it's interface (it looked similar to a lot of setup/installation menus for games). It could have been done with the DOS default character set. I remember that apart from adding sub menus and naming items about the only thing you could do to customize it was change the colours. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I would love to have it back again. It may have been programmed by an amateur at home, maybe that is why I have never seen it anywhere. I am not sure how I got it in the first place.

Could you be referring to a program called POWERMENU by Brown Bag Software? I used it all the time and it was very handy.

May I ask a question? Is there any way for users to change the colors displayed on this board? It is a bit difficult to read.

Reply 9 of 13, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cripster wrote:
rick12373 wrote:

Could you be referring to a program called POWERMENU by Brown Bag Software? I used it all the time and it was very handy.

May I ask a question? Is there any way for users to change the colors displayed on this board? It is a bit difficult to read.

I googled Powermenu and looked at the image results. That may be it believe it or not. I will try it when I am back home. I have found out over the past few days how many menu programs there are for DOS. There are a lot!

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 11 of 13, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jcs wrote:

No, I think it might be Powermenu as mentioned previously.

486 DX4-100 (overdrive)
SB 16 Value CT2770

Reply 13 of 13, by rick12373

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote: