VOGONS

First post, by old_MySpace

User metadata

Hello everyone, I'm looking for an image editing program that it's easy to use and has the most features of Paint.NET (like transparency, layers, et cetera) that works in Windows 98.

Right now I have installed Adobe Photoshop 5.0 but I still haven't tried it yet; does it have layers, transparency and photo editing features?

Reply 2 of 17, by old_MySpace

User metadata
spiroyster wrote:

Of course o.0

Oh ok, well I haven't launched it yet so I had no clue which features it had. 🤣 🤣

----
Well since I don't want to spam this board with questions, does it exist a modelling program for Windows 98?
I'm not looking for something modern but around the late 90s-early 2000 era.

Reply 3 of 17, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm still using Paint Shop Pro 5 -7 with great satisfaction under Win98. It's much faster and more intuitive for me than contemporary Photoshop versions but feature rich enough to handle more than basic tasks. Actually it's also portable. After installing it first you can simply copy its folder to other systems and it just works.
http://www.oldversion.com/windows/paint-shop-pro-7-0

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 4 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My info is old but:

Gimp 2.6.7 works with Kernelex
2.2.17 if you don't want to use Kernelex

Tested 5-3-2011 on Windows 98SE using GIMP 2.6.7 and KernelEX 4.5.
Run program in Windows 2000 compatibility mode

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 17, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MySpace wrote:

Well since I don't want to spam this board with questions

I wouldn't worry about that 😀

MySpace wrote:

does it exist a modelling program for Windows 98?
I'm not looking for something modern but around the late 90s-early 2000 era.

Calgari TrueSpace is one I used back when on win95 (v2/3/4). I really liked its interface at the time.
Others I remember at the time are Cinema4D, 3DStudio Max, Maya (2.0/3.0) ... there were quite a few, but some many only work on W2K? I couldn't say which ones.

Reply 7 of 17, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Blender definitely ran on W98 up until version 2.45 but there's forum scuttlebutt around saying some newer versions still do. Give it a try & let us know. 😀 (If you download the .zip package it shouldn't even need to install.)

Or you can always go super-oldschool and run POV-Ray.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 8 of 17, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Falcosoft wrote:

I'm still using Paint Shop Pro 5 -7 with great satisfaction under Win98. It's much faster and more intuitive for me than contemporary Photoshop versions but feature rich enough to handle more than basic tasks. Actually it's also portable. After installing it first you can simply copy its folder to other systems and it just works.
http://www.oldversion.com/windows/paint-shop-pro-7-0

I still use PaintShop Pro 7.04 in win7/x64 - it suits my simple needs just fine 🤣
It's a shame it devolved to a completely different program after Jasc sold it (or closed/merged/whatever)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 14 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not always. Its earliest versions didn't even let you paint and it was just a glorified picture viewer (with a ludicrous amount of load/save formats putting all those dedicated image converter programs to shame)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 17, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

+1 for Paint Shop Pro, I actually use Paint Shop Pro 7 on some of my retro computers for taking screenshots without having to deal with the limitations of MS Paint. Heck, my dad still uses it on his Windows 10 computer (he's not really into modern photo editors).

Reply 17 of 17, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still use PSP 7 on Windows 10 and I've been using it since 98se was my daily driver! Before that I used 5 and 6 (close to 20 years total). I've been using PSP so long that all other image editng programs just seem terribly overcomplicated and unintuitive. I think the whole program changed with version 8, so I'd stick with the latest 7.x version you can find.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.