VOGONS

First post, by Megadisk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

EDIT: looks like changing the emm386 line and adding "NOEMS" at the end did the trick.

I have a new to me IBM PS/2 model 50z (286). It came with some software already installed including MS-DOS 3.30 & Win3.1. The only thing I've done so far is to install a 386sx upgrade module because I'd like to use an OPL2LPT external parallel sound card and the 286 can't do it.

Now, to use the OPL2LPT I added a newer "EMM386.exe" (including config.sys line) as this is required in order to work but I'm having memory problems. I first have to enable the OPL2LPT driver and it works just fine but as soon as I run a game problems happen. When loading Wolf3d for example, as soon I load a level, it quickly kicks me out with the error: "PM_Pleload: Exceeded XMS Pages".

The PC board has a 1MB simm but there is MCA memory card that has a couple of populated ram slots. The initial ram test displays that I have 4096Kb altogether.

My MS-DOS 3.30 is a bit rusty and I'd like to keep it if possible. Any help or ideas would be much appeciated!.

u7buu6D.jpg?1

cpmHrmO.jpg?1

This is what config.sys looks like:

SHELL=C:\DOS\COMMAND.COM C:\DOS\/P
FILES=30,0
BUFFERS=30,0
LASTDRIVE=K
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICES=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE
STACKS=9,256

And autoexec.bat :

C:\WINDOWS\SMARTDRV.EXE