VOGONS

First post, by murrayman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Been struggling to get my Win98 machine back stable after a HDD failure. PIII 933, AOpen AX63 Pro mobo, 512mb PC133 SDRAM, Western Digital WD400JB 40GB IDE HDD circa 2008 (bought NOS last week), SB Live! 5.1 SB0100 w/ LiveDrive, swapping between Voodoo 3 1000 / Voodoo 5 5500 to diagnose a separate bottleneck issue, and running a clean install of Win98SE with appropriate drivers, including Via 4.25a chipset drivers with DMA enabled. As I've been reinstalling some of my games, I'll go to defrag via VoptXP between every few installations and encounter an error when trying to analyze files -- sometimes it's crosslinked files, sometimes it's allocation table problems, sometimes it doesn't even say. No matter the issue, it will send me to ScanDisk afterward to check for issues. And each time, ScanDisk will in fact encounter an issue of some sort, usually pertaining to whatever VoptXP mentioned. I started by just truncating crosslinked files, but eventually gave up and allowed it to start automatically fixing issues each time I scanned, as it was happening so often. Problem is, each time it fixes the issues, it leaves one of my games corrupted and unable to either start or run without crashing.

These issues and ScanDisk as a whole are new territory for me. I've been using Vopt defrag software for two decades now with no issues, and I've always avoided boot-up ScanDisk like the plague anytime I had to reset my computers due to a freeze -- it's just never been necessary. But this is the first time I've ever encountered errors like these, and I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing / what the heart of the issue is.

The reason for the new HDD is when I moved into a new house in late January, the Western Digital WD200 that was original with the system seemed to have given up the ghost. The computer was hauled in a blanketed box and lap-carried the whole travel to the new home, which was only 20 miles away, so it didn't experience any jarring. It was also odd, as it didn't seem like the drive wanted to spin up at all, and the BIOS wasn't reading anything. Tried replacing the PCB with one I purchased online, and that did get it to spin again, but not without the head crashing with each attempt (still haven't figured out what happened to that drive). Fast-forward a couple weeks later and I tried one of those SATA-to-IDE adapters with a WD400 and WD2500 I had lying around, but never could get them to run Win98SE stable; the OS would usually crash either during installation, or if I made it all the way through that, during installation of any of my games / drivers or transferring files from media. Gave up on that attempt and went with the NOS IDE HDD, which hasn't been giving me any issues, unless it's the culprit for these VoptXP / ScanDisk reported errors.

I'm at a loss. Any input?

P3B-F 1.04, PIII 1k, 512MB PC133, GF DDR 32MB + DM3DII 12MB SLI, SB0100
P3B-F 1.03, PIII 700, 384MB PC100, V5 AGP, SB0160
CP 5170, PII 350, 256MB PC100, Rage LT 2MB, ESS 1869
PB M S610, PMMX 233, 128MB EDO66, DM3D 4MB, Aztech

Reply 1 of 2, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sounds like a general data corruption problem. I would first run a memory test. If that fails you'll need to adjust the timing in the BIOS or try some different RAM. There could also be a problem with the HDD or IDE controller. To test that I would create a big ZIP file and expand it again, and see if it encounters any CRC errors. Maybe try a different IDE ribbon cable or go in the BIOS and drop the speed to ATA-33 or something.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 2 of 2, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
murrayman wrote:

and I've always avoided boot-up ScanDisk like the plague anytime I had to reset my computers due to a freeze -- it's just never been necessary.

You should have done exactly the opposite, actually. Whenever the system freezes or crashes otherwise, reboot into command line immediately and run "scandisk /all" - do not boot into Windows! Otherwise, you may experience data loss or unnoticed data corruption. This is because the FAT gets damaged in many cases, which is not a problem as such, because a copy is kept. Scandisk will check which one is in good order and use that. But that is only possible as long as no write access has happened since the crash. Once a single write operation has been done, the primary FAT can no longer be repaired by using the backup FAT. The result will be chained blocks, truncated files, and many other errors you don't want to have in your filesystem. Fixing those to get the filesystem back into a valid state always causes data loss, since the FAT filesystem lacks any integrity features for ensuring or even checking data integrity.