VOGONS

First post, by Burrito78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there,

i've got a problem that took me a few hours to figure out so i'm posting here in case anyone else encounters this.

System: Pentium 200MMX, Sound Blaster AWE32, DOS 6.22

Software: LucasArts Sam & Max Hit the Road CD (Talkie), German version. The english CD talkie version is not affected on my system!!

Problem: While running setup (setmuse.exe) to configure LucasArt's "Sam & Max Hit the Road", setmuse.exe freezes while selecting (Sound Blaster 16) in the drop down menu (i don't even have to press enter, selecting it is enough). Have to restart the PC. No sound configuration possible.

Solution: After starting with clean config.sys/autoexec.bat and seeing that setmuse.exe worked i started adding back items to my startup files.
The problem was SmartDrive! When i removed it from the autoexec.bat, setmuse.exe worked as expected. As soon as i started smartdrv.exe, the problem was happening again.

TLDR: If LucasArt's Setmuse hangs, try again without SmartDrive!

PS: I posted this here because i couldn't find anything about it anywhere else and i wanted to document this for the future.

Regards,
Burrito78

Sound Blaster: From best to worst
Member of DOSBox Staging

Reply 1 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hello. 😀

I haven't had this issue yet, but I remember there were S+M patches at the old LucasArts website.
I believe, they were primarily intended for the save feature, but may also have had other fixes included.

If nothing really helps, there's also a newer talkie release of Sam & Max - Hit The Road..
It got released by the end of the 2010's in a DVD case, I believe:

Among the ubiquitous win32 binaries, it also included the old DOS executables.
Not sure, however, how much they were different from the Softgold release.

Best regards,
Jo22

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the info burrito78 , it might come handy someday...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 5, by Burrito78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

I haven't had this issue yet, but I remember there were S+M patches at the old LucasArts website.
I believe, they were primarily intended for the save feature, but may also have had other fixes included.

I tried the patch for the CD-Version (there was only one patch) but it didn't help.

Jo22 wrote:

If nothing really helps, there's also a newer talkie release of Sam & Max - Hit The Road..
It got released by the end of the 2010's in a DVD case, I believe:

No problem, its working without SmartDrive so no big deal.

collector wrote:

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

Wasn't clear to me, sorry. In the description of the forum, it says nothing about "new" systems. Also i'm pretty sure this will also happen on newer machines.

keropi wrote:

Thanks for the info burrito78 , it might come handy someday...

Hi keropi! Thanks, i thought so too!

Sound Blaster: From best to worst
Member of DOSBox Staging