VOGONS

First post, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I hope this is the appropriate section for this...

I tried to create a dual boot on one of my newer computers in the same way I am used to doing so in the past - install xp first on one physical drive and then install 7 later on a different physical drive. Because my UEFI BIOS has the most excellent feature of allowing AHCI and IDE to exist concurrently on different SATA ports, I don't need to do any switching. The OS boot menu works just fine to select systems.

The problem first occurred after I installed 7. I didn't notice it right away because everything else worked flawlessly but this device appeared under XP with the yellow warning symbol and was identified as unknown PCI device. Then I realized I had no DVD drive in my computer. It disappeared so I'm assuming that's what the unknown device is, since that wasn't there before installing 7.

I have tried all the usual things like uninstalling the device, and the IDE controllers but that did nothing. I am at a loss and would like to know if anyone here knows how to get the drive detected again under xp. It's just a cheapo LG super multi with mdisc and it works fine in 7. I'm sure this is some software thing but I've never had it happen before. Thanks.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 1 of 14, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look in
Control Panel => Administrative Tools => Computer Management => Disk Management
See if the DVD is there but with the wrong or no drive letter assigned.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 2 of 14, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PCBONEZ wrote:

Look in
Control Panel => Administrative Tools => Computer Management => Disk Management
See if the DVD is there but with the wrong or no drive letter assigned.

No it's not there at all.

Reply 3 of 14, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't had this happen for years so I'm a bit rusty as to the fixes.

Try this.
Power down.
Disconnect the drive.
Boot all the way into XP (with no DVD drive)
Power down again.
Reconnect the drive.
Boot into XP again.
If it doesn't find the new device then try the "Find New Hardware" wizard.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 4 of 14, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If that doesn't work I remember something about a registry edit for High and Low filters....
But I don't remember enough about it to be a guide for that.
Other members or google I guess.

Reply 5 of 14, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried both of those solutions. It is not a hardware detection issue because both the BIOS and Win7 show it fine. Something in XP is failing to detect all of a sudden. When I tried the registry thing, there were no upper and lower entries at all.

Reply 6 of 14, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now XP can't see my second disk drive either. I believe I caused that to happen myself by unplugging the Win7 drive, so that I could get my drive letters in order and not in some weird order, mixed with my 7 partitions. That served its purpose but upon reconnecting the power, now all the 7 partitions are gone as well. 7 is fine still and shows both hard drives and the cd drive.

Seems XP just forgets anything when it gets unplugged? I tried re-scanning both in device manager and disk management but they seem to be completely gone. I believe any fix would involve XP acknowledging the second disk and dvd drive as being present, which it is refusing to do now.

Reply 7 of 14, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gahhhrrrlic wrote:

I tried both of those solutions. It is not a hardware detection issue because both the BIOS and Win7 show it fine. Something in XP is failing to detect all of a sudden. When I tried the registry thing, there were no upper and lower entries at all.

If it's as you said and completely missing in XP then XP has not detected it.

Reply 8 of 14, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When XP starts up it scans the system for PnP devices and installs the appropriate drivers (from it's drivers library) for whatever it finds.

Your XP installation is screwing that up. Probably some corrupted DLLs or maybe INFs.
I would reinstall or run a repair on XP.

Another possibility is bad sectors on your XP partition.
Check the drive itself.

Reply 9 of 14, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK... update:

I went into BIOS and changed from AHCI + LEGACY IDE to just IDE and now XP is seeing everything, DVD and drives. This would normally not surprise me except for the fact that everything was working before with AHCI and IDE.

Perhaps, changing everything to IDE forced XP to see all the Win7 drives under a different host controller structure. Maybe if I switch back to dual mode everything will remain detected...

Reply 11 of 14, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Of course you could find your controller chip's AHCI driver for XP.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2018-04-15, 05:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 14, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PCBONEZ wrote:

Of you could find your controller chip's AHCI driver for XP.

Hmm.. now that's a though. Let me see if I can find anything on that.

Oh btw, just to document another failed solution, switching sata ports does nothing.