VOGONS

First post, by lanbonden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Long story short, the Asus CUSL2 motherboard got a soldered bios chip so I cant get away with my normal usb bios flasher routine, resulting in me finally having to dig up and test my old floppy that ofc didn't work.. So now Im stuck with having to update the bios of this lovely motherboard from within Windows, the question is what program to use? Ive tried winflash and asus live update (requires internet) so far.

The manual mentions "Asus Bios Flash Utility For Ldcm" which I cant see to find so some help on what program to go for would be most helpful.

Best regards P

Reply 1 of 5, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my experience early Windows flasher programs were flaky (unreliable and risky) and I'd replace the floppy drive before using one.

It -might- work to format a spare empty IDE drive with minimal DOS files (as found on a flashing-floppy or flashing USB stick) and use that in place of the floppy. If the utility has any bat files bundled you may need to edit the file paths to C drive.

Were it me and that HDD trick didn't work I would shelve the project until I had a floppy drive rather than trying to flash through Windows.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2018-04-17, 09:55. Edited 1 time in total.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 2 of 5, by lanbonden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, wonder why Ive never thought about that before, great idea. An Fat32 ide hdd should work (Board doesnt boot from usb).

And about the floppy, Id probably desolder the chip to flash it before ordering a new floppy so might just as well have risked the windows flash first as a bricked chip wouldnt be that bad if it didnt play out as expected.

Reply 3 of 5, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Floppy drives are cheap or come included with old systems.
I keep some in my toolbox (so to speak) for work bench use.
I have a chip programmer too but I went so long without one I completely forget I even have that option.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 4 of 5, by lanbonden

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Flashing bios from an IDE hdd worked without any problems. Learned a few things from this experiment tho.

1) More adapters is always beter 😉 already run the system with an SSD and a SATA to IDE adapter, the IDE to USB adapter came in handy now.
2) Making a bootable DOS hdd within windows was kind of annoying. The get around I succeeded with was to run an old IDE hdd with the IDE to USB adapter to trick Rufus it was a portable hdd. Then switching it to normal IDE connection for the motherboard to be able to boot from it.

Thanks again for the great idea to use an hdd for it 😀

Reply 5 of 5, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Congrats! - Glad it worked.
Your workaround to trick Rufus was pretty clever too.