VOGONS

Local Network (LAN) on Windows 98 ain't working, but Internet works just fine

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, yesterday I managed to get a PCI Realtek RTL8139 network card to work in Windows 98, I can connect to Internet and "almost" browse (well, with a loadful of SSL certificates errors every second on Netscape and IE), but I can't access the local network, I can't see the shared folders on my Windows 10 PC and I can't share anything in Windows 98 itself, obviously I enabled both files and printer sharing in the network configuration under Windows 98, but when I right click C:\ to share it, it just isn't there, it should be right there in the contextual menu, but isn't.
When I open "Neighborhood Nework" or however it's called in English (it's "Network Resources" in the Italian version of Windows 98), I only see "The whole network", but when I double click it, I get an error which says it can't access it.
On the login screen when Windows starts, now I see Username, password and DOMAIN, I have no idea what that Domain field is for, but if I leave it blank, it doesn't let me log in with my user name and if I use either WORKGROUP or HOMEGROUP as "domain" it says those domains don't exist or something like that and local networking would be limited, so I can access on Windows 98 only if I press cancel at that screen.
As I said at the beginning, Internet itself works fine, but how do I set up local network and get it to share on workgroup along other local computers ? I can't find any useful information on Google and, as usual, Vogons is my last hope, if you guys can figure out what's going on in that Windows 98 PC.

Screenshots coming up, if you need.

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 1 of 11, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heya,

This one is still good to use, even though it's for windows 8.1
http://www.philscomputerlab.com/windows-98-networking.html

In short, you can't use "Network Resources" in windows 9x, instead you need to either map the network location as a drive or use start>run \\ip.adressordns\ to your shared folders.

Last edited by dottoss on 2018-04-18, 08:01. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 11, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, I'll now watch that Phil's tutorial.
Therefore, before making another thread, does the same thing also apply for Windows 3.11 with TCP/IP protocol, at this point ?

Most important ones:

Reply 4 of 11, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

oh, I'm sorry, depending also which version of windows 10 you have, you also need to activate SMBv1 as it was disabled by default on fall creators update. Sorry for forgetting to mention that.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034 … er-version-1709

How to enable it.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2696 … -in-windows-and

edit: more resources how to enable SMBv1 in windows 10.
https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=20736

Last edited by dottoss on 2018-04-18, 08:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 11, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I managed to get a shared folder from my Windows 10 on Windows 98 now, but the other way around, as he shows in the video, isn't working, I checked the sharing files and printers, but the "share" option isn't still there.

Also he doesn't mention at all what to put in the "Domain" field at logon, when he reboots it doesn't appear, and I cannot logon without a "Domain" in there and if I put anything in it, even WORKGROUP I get "No server of domain available for the password validation. It may be impossible to access to all the network resources".

LoW1SFD.png

z9Ugs1T.png

Most important ones:

Reply 6 of 11, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Please untick the yellowed marked option in my screenshot, and try again. I think you have enabled NT domain login. Also, check the SMBv1 on Windows 10 mention above.

Capture.PNG
Filename
Capture.PNG
File size
535.45 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

EDIT:
Please upload the same screenshot as above from your system, so I can see your network protocols. I don't think you have the service "file and printer sharing for Microsoft networks" installed. Without that, you will not have the "sharing" menu option in win9x.

Last edited by dottoss on 2018-04-18, 08:45. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 7 of 11, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, done thanks, now I don't get that domain stuff anymore, also I got bidirectional sharing working fine and dandy, it's not as simple and organized as XP and further, with all the shared computers ready to just open and browse, instead I have to manually map them with the IP, but hey, at least it's way faster than copying files from that extremely painfully slow USB 1.0 slot !!!

Most important ones:

Reply 8 of 11, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Elia1995 wrote:

Ok, done thanks, now I don't get that domain stuff anymore, also I got bidirectional sharing working fine and dandy, it's not as simple and organized as XP and further, with all the shared computers ready to just open and browse, instead I have to manually map them with the IP, but hey, at least it's way faster than copying files from that extremely painfully slow USB 1.0 slot !!!

Perfect, I'm happy to hear! Have fun, and yes it's way more convenient than USB and it also avoid wear-out on USB ports on those old motherboards/cases 😀 😀

Last edited by dottoss on 2018-04-18, 09:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 11, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And not only in matter of speed, but when I use my flashdrive via USB on that Windows 98 PC, when I open any MIDI file or I rename some folder, explorer crashes, while from network (same flashdrive shared through my main PC right now) it works fine.

Most important ones:

Reply 10 of 11, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Elia1995 wrote:

And not only in matter of speed, but when I use my flashdrive via USB on that Windows 98 PC, when I open any MIDI file or I rename some folder, explorer crashes, while from network (same flashdrive shared through my main PC right now) it works fine.

Good that you have worked-around that problem, must have been annoying.

Do you have ie6/ie6sp1 installed by chance? If so, you could check this thread out for an plausible cause of your win9x explorer crashing.
Win98SE Explorer hangs when copying/moving/deleting large or numerous files

Last edited by dottoss on 2018-04-18, 09:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 11, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think I have any SP installed, not sure.

Most important ones: