VOGONS

First post, by RaYaNt3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Recently a forum-mate gave me this Shuttle for free:

https://www.shuttle.eu/_archive/older/en/sb61g2.htm (SB61G2V3 / 250w psu)

Officially, this system is capable to hold Windows 98 (there are lots of official w98 drivers) but... In the practice the systems freezes while the w98 installation is checking for the hardware...

Yes, I've tried with only 512mb of ram, disabling almost every single component in bios... and I don't want to resign installing only windows XP cause its a good and silent system for both OS (I have other 478s with 98+2000/Xp, with very similar chipset)...

What can be done? What do you think... ?

Reply 1 of 2, by dottoss

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nice system, and for free, i'm envious.

When system hangs during "checking for the hardware..." part, it's usually because of ACPI problems.
Try installing windows 9x with the /p i switch to disable ACPI, or check your bios to disable ACPI (not always available on all models) and/or update your bios and try again (it might fix some botched ACPI implementations). Or just go with the first suggestion and let windows completely ignore the ACPI and use APM instead (might cause problems if you are going to use WDM drivers but mileage will vary)

"setup.exe /p i"

Reply 2 of 2, by RaYaNt3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you very much! I'll try this weekend...

EDITING...

I had no luck, I updated the BIOS, also tried to boot with a IDE drive (I thought maybe it could be the sata controller)... then Windows 98 installs correctly but before I can enter desktop system freezes.

I guess it's time to keep this Shuttle for only 2000/XP retro life...