VOGONS

First post, by rocksolid_1997

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As the topic suggests; I am looking for a BootManager that has support for (also) booting on LS120.

Currently I have tested Plop Boot Manager, but it seems that it doesn't support booting off an LS120. Or that it, it might support it, but I would apparently need to know the partition configuration before booting on the disk (yikes). Furthermore I just plain out dont like the graphical interface. Gimme plain normal 80x25 please plox 😀

So, I started looking at System Commander, and it doesnt seem to definitively support LS120 either.

Hope you can help me find a BootManager - or give me recommendations. My requirements for a BootManager is:

* Boot on my choice of connected harddrive
* Boot on Floppy / CDROM / LS120
* Boot on USB (though mine is an USB pci card, might not be supported)

Input greatly appreciated 😀

Reply 1 of 4, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It has been a long time since I used either LS120 or System Commander but I did use them a lot back in the day.

As I recall for LS120 drives of the type that use the 34-p floppy interface (instead of 40-p IDE) the system treats them like Drive-A floppies.
In other words "Boot on Floppy" will boot an LS120 disc if that's the kind of disc in the drive.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 2 of 4, by rocksolid_1997

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PCBONEZ wrote:

It has been a long time since I used either LS120 or System Commander but I did use them a lot back in the day.

As I recall for LS120 drives of the type that use the 34-p floppy interface (instead of 40-p IDE) the system treats them like Drive-A floppies.
In other words "Boot on Floppy" will boot an LS120 disc if that's the kind of disc in the drive.

They use the IDE interface 😀 Boot on floppy will boot on the floppy - not the LS120 🙁

Reply 3 of 4, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They came either/or IDE or Floppy interface and I think USB.
Most common was the IDE.

I have several from laptops I was going to retrofit for a 3.5" front bay but I lost interest and they are in a box somewhere.
I don't use LS120 disks anymore but I get a kick out of the motorized eject for floppy disks.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 4 of 4, by rocksolid_1997

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yearh, sorry, i should have mentioned; its not a fancy LS120, just a "regular" IDE drive one, for desktops. I do know about "the others", or atleast the USB/Parallel ones, but I never used them.

I am in -love- with that eject mechanism 😀

Alas my motherboard has no support for it, so I am looking for at Bootmanager which has..