VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As far as I know most older Sierra games were made for the Sound Canvas standard and sound weird on General MIDI modules and/or don't have support for Wavetable daughterboards.

I've looked around online but I can't find any information on if and/or when Sierra moved from MT-32 to General MIDI, even though this information is easy to find for Lucasarts games, for example.

Does anyone have any pointers as to which games support GM, and work with wavetable daughterboards?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 2, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can't help too much with the timeline of things. But I believe the change from MT-32 to GM really began with SQ5 and on. However, the only wavetable DB I owned back in the day (Still own just don't use) was the Roland SCB-55 attached off my original SB-16 with the DSP chip added to it. It worked fine for all GM games. I just used 330 as the midi address when asked for and the Sierra games and such would always see it in their installers.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 2 of 2, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Generally speaking, all SCI0 & SCI1 versions were written with MT-32 support only (i.e., no direct General MIDI support).
However, Sierra did afterwards release patches for some of their SCI1 games to enable General MIDI support.
From what I've seen, all SCI1.1 versions and onwards came with both General MIDI and MT-32 support (with General MIDI being the main standard that the games were written for but, I stand corrected).
For a list of the games, refer https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sierr … terpreter_games