VOGONS

Reply 20 of 76, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Wasn't the boot menu a thing that didn't exist before dos 6.22? Majority of my DOS life was spent with DOS 5.0 and 6.0, by the time DOS 6.22 came along I had moved on to OS/2 Warp 3..

Yea, I think it was introduced in DOS 6.0. In 5.0 you either had to juggle multiple sets of autoexec.bat/config.sys, or do it with the manual prompt option of F5.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 21 of 76, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Wasn't the boot menu a thing that didn't exist before dos 6.22? Majority of my DOS life was spent with DOS 5.0 and 6.0, by the time DOS 6.22 came along I had moved on to OS/2 Warp 3..

Not really. It came with 6.0, which is early 1993. Did you really had a CD-ROM driver before MS-DOS 6.x? 😲 (mine was in 1995 and I remember paying 200+ USD for it)

Talking about CD-ROMs, when was the CD-ROM DOS games started to appear en masse? I believe they started to became mainstream around 1993-94, is that right? My first ever CD-ROM games were TIE Fighter Collectors CD and Rebel Assault II, both purchased in 1995. I also remember playing Phantasmagoria, Wing Commander 4, Bioforge, Warcraft II, Red Alert, Larry 7, and Daedalus Encounter (borrowed from friends), but again all in 1995-96.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 22 of 76, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a 2x CD-ROM in the form of a SB16/CD-ROM upgrade kit that came in a huge ass box along with about 20 odd CD-ROM games.. That was in 1994, I am fairly sure, because it had Ultima VIII pagan in the games it came bundled with and I was over the moon about it. Most if not all other games in the bundle were 1993 releases (Rebel Assault, Sim City 2000, Return to Zork, Strike Commander, etc.) Prior to that, no I did not have a CD-ROM, but I am fairly sure that was before I had access to MS-DOS 6.22, regardless of whether or not it was released. I was running either DOS 5.0 or DOS 6.0 along with Windows for Workgroups 3.11..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23 of 76, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I added a CD-ROM to my 486DX2-66... Probably in 1995 or 1996. It was one of the first quad speed drives, a Mitsumi.
One of the first games I played on it was Need For Speed.

Reply 25 of 76, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting toppic. My actual setup (P3-1400/R7000/ESS-SOLO1) can run lot's of old dosgames very well.
The P3-1400 is fast enough for playing some older titles with deactivated L1-Cache via batchfile.
I always used Qemm386 but now I switched to Himem/Emm386 and therefore I had to change from "cpucache.com off/on" to "setmul L1D L2D / L1E/L2E"
It seems that this combination is more stable and leads less reboots while starting different games.

Beside that, qemm386 refuses the switch "RAM" in this machine because the ems-frame is fragmented or different. Emm386 runs without any problems. (I included mda to get more upper memory)

I never used "doskey" so what have I missed?
Stacks=0,0 means no way to run "biomance" anymore.
I am not a fan of different configs with a menu, I always optimize for one configuration. Thats mostly an EMS config because lot's of games do work with that
and pic-viewer (qview103), sound-mod-players (glx) make use of EMS. Thought there are some glitches.

"Temu" does not work with EMM386 loaded, so Tandy-Sound via covox is only available with himem.
Mouse-Support in Win2x is broken, win1x and win3x works fine with ct-mouse and emm386.

Overall actually I prefer EMM386 over QEMM386. What I really liked on qemm was the fast reboot.

Doc

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 26 of 76, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

I had a 2x CD-ROM in the form of a SB16/CD-ROM upgrade kit that came in a huge ass box along with about 20 odd CD-ROM games.. That was in 1994, I am fairly sure, because it had Ultima VIII pagan in the games it came bundled with and I was over the moon about it. Most if not all other games in the bundle were 1993 releases (Rebel Assault, Sim City 2000, Return to Zork, Strike Commander, etc.) Prior to that, no I did not have a CD-ROM, but I am fairly sure that was before I had access to MS-DOS 6.22, regardless of whether or not it was released. I was running either DOS 5.0 or DOS 6.0 along with Windows for Workgroups 3.11..

Wow, very good pack!. I already had a SB Pro 2 when I finally decided to buy a CD-ROM drive (well, finally found the money, actually 🤣) so I went with a CD-ROM only option, but again it was a Creative (4X, if I remember correctly). Since I was kind of a part time IT service tech, it was very easy for me to obtain any OS as soon as it released, well, even before it was released 😊 (beta test copies - when W95 finallly came out, I was already using it for months for example). I almost never used WFW 3.11 though. It was from 3.1 to directly 95 for me.

Scali wrote:

I added a CD-ROM to my 486DX2-66... Probably in 1995 or 1996. It was one of the first quad speed drives, a Mitsumi.
One of the first games I played on it was Need For Speed.

Ahh... I forgot to mention Need for Speed. One of the pals at that time had a Voodoo (1 or 2, I don't remember, but it was 1996) and he was the only one in the whole gang. We were in such awe while playing Need for Speed in his rig! 🤣

dr.zeissler wrote:

...What I really liked on qemm was the fast reboot.

This was indeed a lovely feature.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 27 of 76, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tayyare wrote:

Wow, very good pack!. I already had a SB Pro 2 when I finally decided to buy a CD-ROM drive (well, finally found the money, actually 🤣) so I went with a CD-ROM only option, but again it was a Creative (4X, if I remember correctly). Since I was kind of a part time IT service tech, it was very easy for me to obtain any OS as soon as it released, well, even before it was released 😊 (beta test copies - when W95 finallly came out, I was already using it for months for example). I almost never used WFW 3.11 though. It was from 3.1 to directly 95 for me.

I never used Windows 95. True story. I was an OS/2 Warp 3 guy 😎

Reply 28 of 76, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

I have OS/2 Warp 3... the floppy version!
Funny enough it is the only program I found that didn't work on the AMD 486DX2-66 CPU I had at the time. It would install, it could boot in safe mode, but it would BSOD when booting in regular mode.
When I later replaced the AMD CPU with an Intel one, OS/2 suddenly worked on that machine. Never found out what the issue was with the AMD CPU.

Reply 29 of 76, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scali wrote:
I have OS/2 Warp 3... the floppy version! Funny enough it is the only program I found that didn't work on the AMD 486DX2-66 CPU […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:

I have OS/2 Warp 3... the floppy version!
Funny enough it is the only program I found that didn't work on the AMD 486DX2-66 CPU I had at the time. It would install, it could boot in safe mode, but it would BSOD when booting in regular mode.
When I later replaced the AMD CPU with an Intel one, OS/2 suddenly worked on that machine. Never found out what the issue was with the AMD CPU.

Haha, that is the version I had back then - the student version that came on something like 30 HPFS floppies in a boring white box.. Oh the install.. 😵

But Warp 3 opened the doors to the internet for me in 1994 and my 14 year old mind was absolutely blown..

Reply 30 of 76, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Haha, that is the version I had back then - the student version that came on something like 30 HPFS floppies in a boring white box.. Oh the install.. 😵

I took pictures of it back in the day:

P1852_04-09-11.jpg
Filename
P1852_04-09-11.jpg
File size
1.57 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
P1846_04-09-11.jpg
Filename
P1846_04-09-11.jpg
File size
1.4 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 31 of 76, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Tried it (there was a guy at work who was a fanatical supporter of OS/2 and was quite active about spreading his religion 🤣), compared it to Windows 95, voted for 95, and never looked back 😊

PS: OS/2 of mine was a floppy version too, some kind of an IBM specific format like 1.8MB or so... 25 or so floppies? My first release version W95 also came in floppies, by the way 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 32 of 76, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

But Warp 3 opened the doors to the internet for me in 1994 and my 14 year old mind was absolutely blown..

Do you have internet connection from home in 1994? If this is what you meant, I believe that you have mistaken your dates.

PS. Assuming you were living in where I live during that times... 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 33 of 76, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tayyare wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Do you have internet connection from home in 1994? If this is what you meant, I believe that you have mistaken your dates.

Yeah, that's what I meant, and yeah I am fairly certain of it. 1994 I had two ways of getting online; in early 1994 I could get online through BOUN.EDU.TR, dialing in using a friend's dad's credentials, who was faculty, and then using telnet, irc, mail and gopher. In late 1994, near the year end, we got Warp 3 Student Edition for a VERY hefty amount for even the floppy student version (bought from BIMEKS in Kadikoy, Istanbul - such fond memories of the place..), but that got me online through IBM.net, with a surname@ibm.net email no less. $20 for 20 hours a month. It may not sound like much today but it was incredible at the time, and was my first experience of the WWW. Then in late 1995 we moved to a $30 unlimited plan. Around that time the internet exploded in Turkey.

Today I have boxed CD versions of OS/2 Warp 3 and Warp 4 Connect but the floppy version of Warp 3 got lost during one move or another, somehow. Such a sad loss..

Reply 34 of 76, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tayyare wrote:

PS: OS/2 of mine was a floppy version too, some kind of an IBM specific format like 1.8MB or so... 25 or so floppies? My first release version W95 also came in floppies, by the way 🤣

Yup, 1.8 MB each. I had the BonusPak as you can see on the box, that made a total of 36 floppies.

Reply 35 of 76, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The three of us should put together OS/2 Warp 3 or 4 PCs.. And this conversation should probably split off into an OS/2 discussion thred.. 🤣

Reply 36 of 76, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

The three of us should put together OS/2 Warp 3 or 4 PCs.. And this conversation should probably split off into an OS/2 discussion thred.. 🤣

OS/2 is an excellent memory manager.
There, back on topic 😀

Reply 37 of 76, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
tayyare wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Yeah, that's what I meant, and yeah I am fairly certain of it. 1994 I had two ways of getting online; in early 1994 I could get online through BOUN.EDU.TR, dialing in using a friend's dad's credentials, who was faculty, and then using telnet, irc, mail and gopher. In late 1994, near the year end, we got Warp 3 Student Edition for a VERY hefty amount for even the floppy student version (bought from BIMEKS in Kadikoy, Istanbul - such fond memories of the place..), but that got me online through IBM.net, with a surname@ibm.net email no less. $20 for 20 hours a month. It may not sound like much today but it was incredible at the time, and was my first experience of the WWW. Then in late 1995 we moved to a $30 unlimited plan. Around that time the internet exploded in Turkey.

Today I have boxed CD versions of OS/2 Warp 3 and Warp 4 Connect but the floppy version of Warp 3 got lost during one move or another, somehow. Such a sad loss..

Ok then. I was also connecting from my home, too, (thru METU, I was doing my MSc during that times) but since you said you were 14, I did not consider it could be an universty line, my bad. 😊

I remember those 30USD/month unlimited packages (phone bill inluded, was it 45 or 30?). These were the days 😈 . Do you know that I was one of the first 100 customers of Superonline? 😎

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 38 of 76, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@scali OS/2 1.x should work on your 286/20 too 😀 I own the 1.x/2.x/3.x Disk-Sets and the 3.0 CD-Rom Version.
The only machine I currently have installed OS/2 WARP is my Unisys 486 DX2/66 and it's of course a real Intel DX2/66 (but without cache).

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 39 of 76, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OS/2 really is/was a neat memory manager. I'm running OS/2 2.11 on my Contura on a dual-boot setup along with DOS6.2+Win 3.10.
It also has several settings to allow direct port i/o from within a DOS session. Warp 4.x als runs fine in VPC 2007. 😀
Edit: Warp also has good batch file support, it can run old OS/2 text adventures.

@dr.zeissler
I like OS/2 1.2, it's so cute and lightweight. ^^ It looks like Win 2.x (hence the .2 ?) and runs a few games, too.
Funnily, it can also run Windows 2.03 in its DOS box well enough (tried that once w/o mouse support).
OS/2 1.3 is much more refined and supports printers, virtual memory, etc and has the NT 3.1 looks.
The Presentation Manager add-on for Windows NT is also based on 1.3.

Attachments

• os2pm.gif
    Filename
    os2pm.gif
    File size
    16.11 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    OS/2 1.2 with applications
    File license

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//