VOGONS

First post, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone. I am having an issue I could really use some help with. While watching online videos I came across two of my favorite video producers playing an old game from Disney called Follow the Reader. They seemed to both love it and hate it at the same time. My daughter is now 3 years old and this is right up her alley for something that will hold her interest. So I went looking for it. Couldn't find a copy to buy. Hmm, couldn't find information on it on Moby Games. Double hmm. Turns out I had an boxed copy of it. Checked my list of games, and sure enough, I have a copy of it, but it's in storage. So I went and got it out and installed it on my machine in dosbox using a USB floppy drive. It works great. I showed it to my daughter and she was just entranced. So I decided it was time to set up an old PC for her to play on. So I went into the basement found a spare NCR 3230 machine that had been upgraded with a 486DX2-66 and brought it up. It has IDE for the Hard drive and a Sound Blaster 32 PNP. Got everything up and running, despite the battery being dead, and it's a barrel battery so I better de-solder it quick (That's this weekends project). I installed Follow the Reader and it installed fine. I start follow the reader, and then I encounter my issue. The sound works, but sounds off (I will try to get a copy of how it sounds when I have a chance) and after the first time the narrator speaks the whole game locks up, even though the Adlib music keeps playing. I turned off the music, same problem, turn off the speech, problem goes away. So it definitely has something to do with the speech functionality of the game. The SB32 works completely fine in every other game I tested it. Several Sierra games, Monkey Island, Dark Forces, Stonekeep (I know, bad game) and my floppy disk copy of Descent. They all work, but most of them have an option for Sound Blaster 16, and/or are newer releases than Follow the Reader which is from 1990 or 91 I think. The issue is this, is it the Sound Blaster 32 not being friendly? Or is it an issue with a 16-bit sound card in general? Will it work with a Sound Blaster 16 at all or will I need a Sound Blaster Pro, or Sound Blaster? If it's just the Sound Blaster 32, then I have a CT 2230 and CT 2950 that I can get that are being offered to me, but I don't want to purchase them if neither one of them will work. If there is anyone out there that can help me solve this puzzle I would be grateful and my daughter will be ecstatic.

Kind Regards,

Nathaniel

Reply 1 of 7, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe that game only works with Sound Blaster 16, Pro, or ye olde Sound Blaster 1.0/1.5/2.0 since the SB 32 won't work with it properly. The recent video I watched had both music and the speech that worked easily in DOSBox. DOSBox uses the Sound Blaster 16 emulation.

I might try the game out as well on my Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus that need its storage upgraded to a bigger size (2GB isn't sufficient).

Last edited by bjwil1991 on 2018-05-03, 00:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2 of 7, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes. I didn't want to name names as I don't know if that is okay on the forums here. It works fine in DosBox, but my daughter wants to play it constantly and it was easier to make a qbasic menu for dos so she can get to it. So it's specifically the SB 32 you believe? It just doesn't work on the actual hardware with Dos 6.22 and Windows 3.1 I wanted to put Dos 6.0 on it, but my DOS 6.0 disks seem to have a read error on them now, so I would like to get another copy. I am overly cautious about spending money on old sound cards if I don't need them because their prices have skyrocketed in recent times. Same thing with retro computers. I looked up an Amiga 2000 for reference because I have a few here I need to sell and I about had a heart attack. I also want to make certain that if I get one that it will work well for other things. We are doing all of the Living Books series as she loves those as well so I have other software to distract until I can find out for certain. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my query. It is helpful. If you get a chance to test it on your packard bell, please let me know. I'm curious for your results. I am kicking myself because I had a couple of non-sound blaster ISA cards and I don't know where I put them. I had a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 and I think a Reveal Sound card as well. I checked my storage unit and There is only sealed hardware there, and I know these cards were just the cards, which means they are in storage here in the house, and probably in back area of where I store hardware and software here and I can't get to it right now as we are finally finishing the basement so I can set up my 30 some odd retro computers from the Timex Sinclair, through the Amiga 4000 and the Tandy Color Computer 2, and 3 and 8 and 16 bit atari computers. Still trying to find a falcon for a price less than my kidney 😁. Thank you again.

Kind Regards,

Nathaniel

Reply 3 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not that for old hardware related questions you should ask in Marvin.

Marvin, the Paranoid Android

This one is for DOS games on modern systems.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 7, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I removed the names since I should've written to them, asking for their permissions beforehand.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 7 of 7, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, so I got the CT 2230 Sound Blaster 16 and installed and ran Follow the Reader. Lockup at the same spot. The only thing I can think of is something else with the hardware causing issues. I have run it successfully on a Tandy Sensation!, A Tandy 2500SX/33, A Packard Bell Legend 115 Plus, Legend I, and the Legend 300SX over a variety of sound cards. Sound Blaster Pro, Pro 2, Sound Blaster 16 and this Sound Blaster 32 that didn't seem to work. I am encountering the same lockup. I thought it might be a resource conflict, but I don't see anything. The machine I am using that keeps locking up is a NCR 3230 machine with 8MB of RAM, a 2GB Compact Flash Card, 12x CD-ROM and now a CT 2230 Sound Blaster 16 MCD card without the extra chip installed. I am just at the point of scratching my head in frustration. If anyone has any ideas on what I can try next, I would appreciate it. Also if anyone knows where I can get a replacement ER4V with 3 pin connector battery I would be extremely thankful.

Regards,

Nathan