VOGONS

First post, by NevilClavain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I am trying to get Windows for workgroups 3.11 up and running on my 486, and having unexpected problems. I've done a clean install of DOS 6.22 and the drivers needed for mouse and CD-rom and I've installed Windows, I have added lines to autoexec and config.sys as described by windows 3.11 (I've also tried without adding the lines) and rebooted.
What happends is that when I type win i get the splash screen and it quickly goes to a black screen with a blinking indicator (the same as when writing in DOS). Nothing is responding, not even ctrl+alt+del.

I have looked at bootlog and the only thing that fails is netapi.dll (error code 2). I've tried installing windows 3.11 as well (no netapi.dll?) and it reports no fails at all but acts the same way. Splash screen then blinking indicator. I've had a look in several .ini files but I really don't know what I'm looking for at this point.

I've also tried running win /n and Win /b but that just bypasses the splashscreen and goes straight to the indicator. No luck!
I have the same setup on my 386 and it is working like a charm, but this 486 just isn't having it.

I was hoping someone could help me troubleshoot. My setup:
FIC 486-GVT-2 motherboard
24mb ram
3.5 floppy drive and 5.25 floppy drive (A and B populated)
TK8237 UMC VLB IDE FDD controller
OPTi 82C929A sound card (with IDE header)
Diamond Speedstar x24 ISA
ontrack disk manager (for large drive support)

I've uploaded some ini-files and the bootlog.

Attachments

• Filename
    WINFILE.INI
    File size
    101 Bytes
    Downloads
    68 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    WIN.INI
    File size
    3.31 KiB
    Downloads
    65 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    SYSTEM.INI
    File size
    2.06 KiB
    Downloads
    77 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    CONTROL.INI
    File size
    3.51 KiB
    Downloads
    60 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    BOOTLOG.TXT
    File size
    1.75 KiB
    Downloads
    86 downloads
    File license

Reply 1 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you try Windows 3.10, too ? My Contura laptop (486) refuses to work with WfW 3.11.
It hangs after the splash screen when program manager shows up.
Vanilla Windows 3.10 works just fine, however.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 12, by NevilClavain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

Did you try Windows 3.10, too ? My Contura laptop (486) refuses to work with WfW 3.11.
It hangs after the splash screen when program manager shows up.
Vanilla Windows 3.10 works just fine, however.

I have not tried 3.10 yet, but I will put it on the ToDo. Thanks!
EDIT: Is 3.10 and 3.1 the same thing?

Reply 3 of 12, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You did not mentioned what kind of display adapter you are using, but this sounds like a dipslay card/Windows display mode incompatibility problem.

I suggest you to run setup, (setup.exe in Windows folder) and choose a compatible display mode like VGA 640*480 with 16 colors. See if it will work. For anything above that, either higher resolution or higher color density, you need to install your display card specific Windows 3.x drivers.

The other thing is, If you have networking installed, WfW 3.11 will not start without a network card connected to a router or switch. If this is the case, try "win /n" to start Windows (which means without networking)

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 4 of 12, by NevilClavain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
tayyare wrote:

You did not mentioned what kind of display adapter you are using, but this sounds like a dipslay card/Windows display mode incompatibility problem.

I suggest you to run setup, (setup.exe in Windows folder) and choose a compatible display mode like VGA 640*480 with 16 colors. See if it will work. For anything above that, either higher resolution or higher color density, you need to install your display card specific Windows 3.x drivers.

The other thing is, If you have networking installed, WfW 3.11 will not start without a network card connected to a router or switch. If this is the case, try "win /n" to start Windows (which means without networking)

I am using the default VGA driver, but I also tried using the Speedstar 24x driver through setup. I will try some more screenmodes and such.
I mentioned trying WIN /n, but that seemed to make things worse, somehow.

Reply 5 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another idea: Maybe there's an i/o conflict. Some adapters such as video cards and network cards
use the memory region between 640KiB and 1MiB. Windows 3.1x on the other hand, does it as well.
Maybe it helps if you're running MemMaker or if you exclude a certain region in config.sys/EMM386 and system.ini.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

strip it back to basics
just the motherboard, minimal ram, standard VGA

remove 1 of the floppy's, soundcard, ontrack so as little as possible can go wrong. you can slowly build the system up part by part and see where it all goes wrong.
You didn't say are you using an actual HDD or some kind of CF or SD adaptor? as these can also do funny things

Reply 7 of 12, by NevilClavain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had some luck!
I'm using Philscomputerlabs boot selector, and when I select "Extended" instead of "expanded" memory windows 3.11 starts up just fine! I've tried using memmaker but it makes no difference.

Reply 9 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cerculdestele wrote on 2020-12-04, 12:20:

Hello! Same motherboard, same issue. Any solution running Win 3.1 with expanded memory?

If you're not running Windows 3.11 for Workgroups , then it's not the same issue as this two-year-old thread, now is it..?

You're also going to have to provide a lot more information.

Reply 10 of 12, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A year later, I also had the same problem.

IBM Blue Lightning 25/50 PS/1000, 2 Gb SCSI2SD, 64 Mb RAM, AWE32, NIC. I tried to strip it down to the basics, tried different mouse drivers, with RAMBOOST (PC DOS 6.1, gotta stay true to blue 😉 ) without it, off a boot diskette, basic VGA, serial/ps2 mouse, with all cards removed, with all COM and LPT disabled, and then in the middle of it all, my SD card decided it didn't want to live anymore, so bam, had to restart it all on another card. From scratch.

I did replace the RAM, as I have some (possibly EDO) 32 Mb sticks from an IBM POS (K6-2 350 - it could also be FPM) and I replaced those with some slower 4 Mb parity sticks - I did get a little further, but ultimately, Windows 3.11 for Workgroups will install, populate the icons, and restart as normal. When you WIN at the C:\ prompt, it loads Progman and promptly hard-locks. With the 4 Mb sticks I was able to get to the network login prompt, but it hard locked there. I tried all the bypass switches, no go. Just, my PS/1000 doesn't like it.

This may be the solution - It mentions Ambra and Blue Lightning based machines, as well as certain IBMs. NSSI and HWinfo don't recognize the keyboard BIOS, so I'm gonna give this a shot:

Windows 3.1 OK? 3.11 locking up? Here is the fix!

And it worked 😁

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 12 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cerculdestele wrote on 2022-12-08, 21:18:

I finally figured this one out. The culprit is Ontrack Disk Manager. If you don't use it, Windows 3.1 works like a charm.

Hi there! 🙂 Some of these DDOs (EZ-Drive?) come with a Fastdisk driver for Windows 3.1x.
However, it has an 8GB limit. Just like MS-DOS 6.2x itself.

Using bigger HDDs can cause trouble. Or rather unpredicted results. Depends on the HDD, the BIOS etc. 🤷‍♂️
It can cause address wrap-arounds, corrupted partitions etc.

The only exception, I think, is if DOS is solely using BIOS to query drive information (rather than a DDO) .
In that case, DOS/Windows 3. 1 can be fooled into thinking a smaller HDD is installed.
However, this requires manually entering CHS values in Setup.

Edit: Alternatively, some diagnostic programs can limit the HDD's reported capacity through the HDD firmware.
Phil showed this with Seagate tools in one of his videos, I vaguely remember.
But to the PC's point-of-view, that's rather a hardware solution. The HDD really becomes smaller, after all.

Tip: In System.ini, under [386Enh], adding 32BitDiskAccess=false can disable the Windows HDD driver, if enabled.

If not installed/enabled, the 32BitDiskAccess= entry will make the checkbox in control panel visible, at least.

//My video channel//