VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was playing the demo of this insanely impressive remake of Tomb Raider II, and that prompted me to go back and look at the originals. I'm noticing they're awfully cube-y. A lot of the structures and elements look like they came straight out of Descent, if you're familiar how that game's maps work, and the way textures are tiled & deformed really look like it's using quads.

So... do these games run a cube-based "carved out" geometry engine like Descent? Or are they quad-based in some other way? Or is it a more traditional polygon engine & just laid out heavily on a grid?

Just curious. 😀

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 1 of 7, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your hunch is correct. The games' maps were built on square blocks of different heights and plane angles. Tr3 used triangle based maps, but still not true polygonal builds.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 3 of 7, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No need to get condescending. I was wondering about the cube-based geometry more than anything.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 4 of 7, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suppose it also has to do with the limited technology of the time. Tomb Raider is essentially a platformer, and one of the first 3d platformers at that. If you compare it to eg Mario or Prince of Persia, those have the same 'fixed distance' approach, but in 2d.
A regular 3d grid just makes a lot of calculations a lot easier, as far as jump-distance, aligning to ridges etc goes.
Generic polygon meshes would require far more advanced raycasting, and I suppose the memory and CPU requirements just weren't there yet, on the intended target platforms.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 6 of 7, by vvbee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The organic environments in tr 1 are pretty impressive though given the limitations. Maps were laid on a grid but the grids were also limited in size, so the environments are just a series of small gridded rooms connected together, with I think some rules on how they should and shouldn't join.