VOGONS

First post, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now that I have my DOS drive ironed out, I'd like to tackle Windows 98SE on my retro computer.

Whenever I try to install, the process always hangs on the screen that says "Getting ready to run Windows for the first time" (Or something like that)

The fading blue/white bar at the bottom stops scrolling and never recovers.

My system specs are as follows:
ASUS P5S-B motherboard
AMD K6-2 500MHz CPU
768MB RAM (Only about half that is detected at boot though)
32GB CompactFlash card for HDD.

Reply 2 of 9, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Flare wrote:

Besides the other comment, if only half of it is detected at boot, that likely means the motherboard doesn't support the modules properly, which may cause issues (you could try updating the BIOS to see if a newer BIOS revision solves it).

Reply 3 of 9, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
yawetaG wrote:
Flare wrote:

Besides the other comment, if only half of it is detected at boot, that likely means the motherboard doesn't support the modules properly, which may cause issues (you could try updating the BIOS to see if a newer BIOS revision solves it).

The manual specifies its maximum memory is three 256MB SDRAM modules, and I installed the latest BIOS from ASUS' site...

I suppose I won't lose anything by removing a module.

Reply 4 of 9, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The motherboard RAM maximum has no bearing on what is the maximum for Windows 98SE. As others have said, try with 512MB and see if it'll install properly. If you still have issues, perhaps it's the CF card adapter? I haven't tried one myself yet, not with 98SE.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 5 of 9, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Flare wrote:
yawetaG wrote:
Flare wrote:

The manual specifies its maximum memory is three 256MB SDRAM modules, and I installed the latest BIOS from ASUS' site...

I suppose I won't lose anything by removing a module.

In that case, you're likely using single-sided 256 MB modules, while the motherboard needs doubles-sided ones to see all of the RAM. But then, the 512 MB limit still applies...

OTOH, if only half the RAM is seen, normally Win98 SE should install fine, so perhaps there's another issue...

Reply 6 of 9, by Flare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I installed two 256MB double-sided memory modules, and the motherboard now properly detects 524288MB.

But Windows 98SE still hangs on install.

Is it still too much memory, or could the problem be the IDE 133 card I'm using for the CF adapter? The motherboard only supports IDE 66.

Reply 7 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For simplicity, I'd recommend installing with the internal adapter (as long as you're not running into capacity limits). You can always swap later.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 8 of 9, by Cbb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does floppy drive work properly (if enabled in BIOS)?
And leave only one memory module (at least for windows install). Also I recommend remove all unnesessary expansion boards (sound, network, video accelerators, etc) until you berach further in setup.

Reply 9 of 9, by Cbb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Flare wrote:

I installed two 256MB double-sided memory modules, and the motherboard now properly detects 524288MB.

But Windows 98SE still hangs on install.

Is it still too much memory, or could the problem be the IDE 133 card I'm using for the CF adapter? The motherboard only supports IDE 66.

CF performance will fit into IDE66 (and I think even in IDE33) capabilities. Use of external IDE controller gains no perfomace in this system.