Rank
Oldbie

Hardware:
ASUS P5P800-VM
Intel Pentium 4 3.0
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
512MB DDR400

Running on Windows 98 SE.

In software mode it runs great, but it freezes on the race start(it render a few frames and freeze).
Ahh just to add, i'm using USB keyboard/trackpad and USB Joypad, but i don't think that this is the issue because it works well on software mode.

Last edited by .legaCy on 2018-07-01, 18:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 8, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
notsofossil wrote:

Do you have kernel ex installed and have it active for NFS3?

I don't see any connection between this and the error he has with the game. NFS3 is a 1998 game, so kernelEx is completely pointless.

Anyway, on such powerful hardware, I'd recommend to just use the NFS3 modern patch. It will most likely fix your issue.

Reply 3 of 8, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello.

.legaCy wrote:

512GB DDR400

I hope you mean megabytes? Right? 😀

Besides that, as derSammler said, try the modern patch version of NFS3 (found here: http://veg.by/en/projects/nfs3/). When I found out about it, I installed it on my Pentium 3 system and was able to transfer my game data from my CD installation of the game to the modern patch, and actually, from what my eyes could tell, I could see a small performance increase, not to mention all of the little improvements that the developer made in-game.

However, if you wish to continue to play the vanilla version of the game, maybe you'll find a useful patch/file or two here on EA's own servers for the game (ftp://ftp.ea.com/pub/ea/patches/nfs3/).

Here's my question, though: What API are you trying to use in hardware mode? DirectX or Glide through something like nglide or dgvoodoo?

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 4 of 8, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the_ultra_code wrote:
Hello. […]
Show full quote

Hello.

.legaCy wrote:

512GB DDR400

I hope you mean megabytes? Right? 😀

Besides that, as derSammler said, try the modern patch version of NFS3 (found here: http://veg.by/en/projects/nfs3/). When I found out about it, I installed it on my Pentium 3 system and was able to transfer my game data from my CD installation of the game to the modern patch, and actually, from what my eyes could tell, I could see a small performance increase, not to mention all of the little improvements that the developer made in-game.

However, if you wish to continue to play the vanilla version of the game, maybe you'll find a useful patch/file or two here on EA's own servers for the game (ftp://ftp.ea.com/pub/ea/patches/nfs3/).

Here's my question, though: What API are you trying to use in hardware mode? DirectX or Glide through something like nglide or dgvoodoo?

my bad, it is MB, i will try this patch
I'm trying to run on DirectX.

Reply 7 of 8, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just open "Run" and type "dxdiag.exe". That'll bring up a window that will tell you what version of DirectX you are running. You can even do it in Windows 10. It's really easy, I promise. 😀

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png