VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bought an unopened Grand Theft Auto 2 disc from eBay recently and installed GTA2 on my system. After installing the game and DX6.1, I selected the British flag then tried to load the game, but am greeted by, "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down." Has anyone tried this game on older hardware? I'm trying to run it on a Cyrix 5x86-133 and have tried two such systems so far, one with a Voodoo2 and one with a Voodoo3. I've tried 3dfx glide and D3D modes, but the results were the same. GTA 1 runs just fine though.

Thinking that the game may require Pentium-specific instructions, I installed it on my Cyrix Media GXm 266 MHz system w/3dfx Banshee and it ran just fine. I do not believe the MediaGX includes the instructions added with the Pentium, though maybe they were snuck into the later CPUs? The GXm does contain MMX instructions, though, so I would be surprised if GTA2 only worked with CPU's containing MMX.

Was this "llegal operation" error at game load common with GTA2 back in '99? While I don't normally experiment with 3D games past 1998, I felt the top-down 2D look might still be playable.

GTA2_Illegal_Operation.jpg
Filename
GTA2_Illegal_Operation.jpg
File size
175.38 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 5, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Heh. At least you did not get "Tragic Error" or "Mutual Exclusion Prohibits This".

Decode the assembly at CS:EIP to see what instructions these are, then check if the CPU supports them.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 5, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"GTA2 Manager.exe" is bugged AFAIK. Always kinda messes up my file explorer window in Windows XP.
Now GTA2 was/is offered as a free download by Rockstar games and there is a version on the internet available with these remarks:
"Bugfixed version of GTA2 by Vike the Hube" "v11.44 2013-09-07"
For one, this version does not give the explorer issues mentioned above. It should be easy to find this fixed version of GTA2.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 5, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My copy of GTA2 has issues with loading from CD-ROM (it needs to be in the drive due to the copyright-control system) and sometimes will crash upon start-up if I try to start the game directly from the hard disk instead of waiting for the CD to autorun and then starting the game. It's also crash-prone when loading the next music track while a video slowdown occurs (e.g. when loads of chained explosions occur).

Also, it doesn't like certain video drivers and needs a beefy video card if you want to use any of the more advanced visual effects...

Reply 4 of 5, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From memory, I recall the newer GTA2 downloads requiring DX8, which I don't want to install on such a system. DX 6.1 is as far as I want to go on a Cyrix 5x86. This is why I wanted the original GTA2 version; it requires DX 6.1. I'll try to locate the bug fixed version, and also try loading the game while the CD-ROM is spinning, or perhaps load the game from the CD-ROM's autostart menu if there is such an option.

Reply 5 of 5, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately, loading the game with the CD spinning didn't help. The issue may be related to gta2.exe and not gta2 manager.exe because when I run gta2.exe by itself, I get the illegal operation message.

Concerning the GTA2 11.44 fix. I assume I was supposed to install this update into my original GTA2 folder, which I did.

Now when I try to open gta2manager.exe, I get the following error:

Error Starting Program
A required .DLL file, DINPUT8.DLL, was not found.

Does this mean that the update requires DirectX version 8? Ideally, I'd like to keep DirectX 6.1 as all the game titles I use require DirectX are version 2 thru 6.

If I try to run gta2.exe, I get the following two errors:

Error Starting Program
The C:\PROGRAM FILES\GTA2\GTA2.EXE file can't load at the desired address, and is not relocatable. Contact your vendor to get a version that is compatible with this version of Windows.

and under that dialogue box is this error:

Windows cannot run this program because it is in an invalid format.

Anyone know how to get the original GTA2 - DirectX 6.1 - game working?