VOGONS

First post, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Folks, does someone happen to have a manual for Sourcer 8.1? I am trying to figure out how to force it to disassemble a piece of code as if it was loaded to different address (I think they call it "virtual mode").
Basically, I need to disassemble a BIOS binary 😀 That's supposed to be located at F000:0000, however, if I load the binary and then instruct Sourcer to disassemble F000:0000, it actually disassembles the BIOS of the machine it's running on, not the BIOS binary I loaded. I cannot run it on a real target machine as the machine is dead as yesterday's jam.
I've tried using BIOSP and the suggestion in its manual, but it doesn't work for me.
Thanks!

Reply 2 of 5, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As written above, I need to disassemble a BIOS binary (a couple of, in fact), to help me understand what's the (HW) problem with particular mainboard, mostly XT clones.
Other option would be e.g. IDA Pro, but while Sourcer is no longer sold (and thus abandonware), IDA is actively developed and rather expensive for my needs.

Reply 4 of 5, by acp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's been ages since I've used SR 8.x and bios preprocessor (BIOSP.EXE) does not allow you to disassemble anything else than your host machine BIOS or GFX card rom. In fact you can still use SR to disassemble any file you like without BIOSP preprocessing however this will be quite tricky especially if your bios is using different memory models and cpu modes (unreal mode has been quite popular in PC world) .Your best bet is IDA as mentioned above and take a look at BIOS Disassembly Ninjutsu book - it is available for free nowadays.

BTW: I do have SR8.x BIOSP manual in PDF if you like.

ASM beyond Repair https://corexor.wordpress.com blog about assembly related stuff

Reply 5 of 5, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
acp wrote on 2018-10-28, 20:48:

BTW: I do have SR8.x BIOSP manual in PDF if you like.

please upload all sources manuals you have
So far I only found https://archive.org/details/SOURCERCOMMENTINGDISASSEMBLER from 1989
Im trying to disassemble Award bios and setting Segment to F000:0000 doesnt work, it keeps insisting on on iventing its own segments

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction