VOGONS

First post, by Colek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there,

So I've got Windows 98 installed on my old HDD and I wanted to move it to new one. I tried using Clonezilla disk-to-disk and partition-to-partition ways, but I end up with non-bootable system (Reboot or Select proper Boot device). If I try to run it through bootdisk (C:\Windows\win) I get VFAT Device Initialization Failed. Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 10, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't had problems using the free version of Macrium Reflect for this purpose.

The limitation is needing a newer (WinXP+) machine to attach the drives to, since the software uses MS' Shadow Copy stuff.

Reply 2 of 10, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Copy it manually and sys the drive... eg. plug it into a newer PC via USB to IDE adapter. Make sure show hidden files is checked in explorer options. Untick "hide protected OS files" and copy the source drive to a new directory. Make sure the new drive is fdisk'd + formatted in 98 (you can use VMWare or another VM tool to make a new VM and do it through the enclosure as well... just use "physical disk" as HD). copy the source files to the new HD and fdisk /mbr + sys it, should work.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 3 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeh what oeuvre said.
I would prepare the HDD in your Win98 PC just to be sure it'll work or fine, but it can be set as slave or on the secondary IDE channel

1) run Fdisk, select the correct HDD and partiton however you like they dont have to be the same size as the original disk.
Make sure you set the primary partition as active.

2) format d:\ /s
I'm assuming D: is the new drive you want windows copied onto

3) copy everything from c:\ to d:\ dos has xcopy built in, below will copy everything from C: to D:
xcopy C: D: /s /v /e /c /y /h /k /i /g

Reply 4 of 10, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sorry for the bump, I tried to use xcopy32 to "clone" the content of a 10gb hard drive to an 80gb hard drive including windows98 SE folder, but when I use those switches it says they are invalid, which version of xcopy32 should I use?
Thanks

Reply 7 of 10, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, you should read oeuvre's post. It's about connecting the HDD via USB and using xcopy from a modern OS (XP and up), not xcopy32 from Windows 98! You can not use that, as in DOS, it won't copy LFNs and in Windows it won't copy locked files. You can actually still do the latter, but it won't result in an exact copy.

That's also why it does not accept all parameters... chinny22's follow-up is probably misleading.

Reply 8 of 10, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote:

No, you should read oeuvre's post. It's about connecting the HDD via USB and using xcopy from a modern OS (XP and up), not xcopy32 from Windows 98! You can not use that, as in DOS, it won't copy LFNs and in Windows it won't copy locked files. You can actually still do the latter, but it won't result in an exact copy.

That's also why it does not accept all parameters... chinny22's follow-up is probably misleading.

Thank you for the clarification, then I will have to find another way to clone the hdd.

Reply 9 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used to do things manually (copying and SYSing) until I got a copy of Acronis true Image 7.0.
It ran nicely on our familiy's older (Pentium MMX) and newer stuff (Pentium III 700MHz).
Especially the DOS-only version that could be selected in Acronis 9/10.
It was slow, but worked with any media the BIOS could see. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 10, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for the tip, unlucky I suppose I will need to do it manually since I'm moving from an 10gb hard drive to a 80gb hard drive, the first one has just 1 partition while the new one will be divided into a windows partition plus a second partition for programs, benchmark etc.
Unlucky the xcopy command from windows 98 se won't let me clone the stuff, there are always missing files even if I use sys x: before...