VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all, I have a 486DX2 66 Pc running DDO Ver 9.57 for Dos 6.21 running great but when I unplug my Dvd drive and have just the HDD connected the HDD does not get detected at boot but in the Bios it still has the same settings that DDO set on user 32. I found this when I was trying to swap the IDE Dvd drive for a Scsi one that connects to my PAS16 sound card so it doesnt get detected when the Ide drive isnt connected and when I connect a Scsi one is this some sort of setting that gets written when the DDO software is installed that looks for a single device setup at the time of install that cant be changed?

Reply 1 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm. Strange. That's one of these reasons I tend to stay away from DDOs, though.
I'd recommend upgrading the BIOS to the latest version (in order to get support for larger drives) or to use XTIDE Universal BIOS.
XTIDE Universal BIOS can be easily installed on a network card (whch, however, also requires an IRQ).
If you wish, a friendly fellow vogons member (or I) will program an EPROM with XTIDE for you.

PS: Perhaps it's a hardware issue, too. Make sure the HDD is set to master/primary or auto-select.
Some drives have issues if they are alone on the cable, but configured for slave/secondary.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 4, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:

Some drives have issues if they are alone on the cable, but configured for slave/secondary.

This was exactly what my first thought was. I don't think it has anything to do with the DDO...

Reply 3 of 4, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im using a 20 GB drive and I have the drive set as master using a 40 wire cable, I ended up replacing the DVD drive because it was faulty mainly read errors and since I need a Dvd drive and a new one is in the Pc my problem for now if fixed but I would be interested to know why this was happening.

Reply 4 of 4, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GabrielKnight123 wrote:

Im using a 20 GB drive and I have the drive set as master using a 40 wire cable, I ended up replacing the DVD drive because it was faulty mainly read errors and since I need a Dvd drive and a new one is in the Pc my problem for now if fixed but I would be interested to know why this was happening.

Some (generally older) drives has another jumper setting as "single" besides master and slave. I don't think a 20GB drive has this feature(?), but I'm mentioning it just in case.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000