VOGONS

Mac-only or Mac-best Games

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by greasemonkey90s

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote:
To archive System 7 support is more difficult. It usually requires a beige Mac or older Power Book. However, it has best support […]
Show full quote

To archive System 7 support is more difficult. It usually requires a beige Mac or older Power Book.
However, it has best support for games from the Windows 3.1 era.
A machine with a Motorla 68030/40+FPU is nice for playing such games nativly.

For OS8 support, an original iMac or PowerMac G3 Blue/White isn't bad either.
The oldest OSes they did support was 8.5 or 8.6, I remember.
Not sure if they required an Old World firmware or not, though.
I did the upgrades I found on the mac OS X Cheetah and Puma CDs quite quickyl after I got them. 😉

so a lc3 overclocked to 33mhz should be ok or mobo swap to be able to run a 68040 from a lc475?

Reply 22 of 24, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Power of PCs is the huge variety of games and the Roland/General Midi support. Lots of games are better on Macs. They have better graphics and sound (than sound blaster). If you have also a Macintosh Trinitron monitor you will have a great experience. I have the Macintosh Color Display Monitor M1212 and everything looks perfect. I started playing Flashback on Mac and PC but i finished it only on Mac and i played only the first level of PC because of the graphics. I have the monitors the one next to the other and Flashblack was so much better than PC. But although some games are technically better on Macs, i prefer the pc version. Do not forger also that some games were released later than PC (even 2 years later). Some info of the following games:

- Monkey Island 1 & 2, Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max, The Dig, Dark Forces, Full Throttle: all these Lucasarts games have better graphics than PC.
- Rise of the Dragon: better fonts, greater sound quality than sound blaster.
- Doom, Heretic: cleaner graphics than PC.
- Cilivization: i think the PC has more music but Mac music quality is lot better, also the graphics are lot lot better.
- Blackthorne: Better graphics than PC, cd audio. The PC supports General midi.
- Warcraft 1,2: They have music directly from cd and the graphics are great.
- Gobliiins 1,2,3: best graphics than any other version (PC, Amiga, Atari ST).
- Sierra on line adventures: Most of them support also Roland for Macintosh, the fonts/subtitles and the icons are better than PC version (see Gabriel Knight, Larry 5, Freddy Pharkas, Space Quest 1 Enhanced, Quest for Glory 1 Enhanced.

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50

Reply 23 of 24, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The picture of Guybrush Threepwood's face is taken by me by using the print screen method on my Macintosh Performa 6116CD with Macintosh Color Display Monitor. What you see is exactly the graphics on this setup/ 😀

http://macintoshgarden.org/games/secret-of-monkey-island

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50

Reply 24 of 24, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actual I am using a LC with 6.08 for the really old B&W and 16color stuff. 256colors are working because I upgraded the VRAM to 512KB. But 256colors are a bit slow on that machine. therefore a PM6100/66 is a better choice. Using "Speed-Doubler" on a slow PPC is a very good advice when playing native 68K Apps, because it's 68K-Emulation Layer is much faster 25%+ then the built-in 68K Emulator in OS7.5.x and upwards. I am using the original OS of the machine, which is 7.5.3.
Beside that I am using my G4-Cube. I love that silence, I love that design, I love the Rage128pro because it's a really good card and it's
natively supported on some software.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines