VOGONS

First post, by tenyuhuang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been running Duke Nukem 3D on a Pentium 3 550MHz (Katmai, 550/512/100 SL3F7) nicely for quite some time; since I'm still getting slowdowns here and there (in Windows), I decided to get a CPU upgrade.

I bought a Pentium 3 850MHz (Coppermine, 850/256/100 SL43F) and installed it on my rig, but now Duke3D will halt after a random short period of time. When halted, my sound card stuttered while there is no prompt cursor blinking, but I could still reinitialize my sound card, reset the video and start duke3d again - and of course, it will halt again after a short period of game play.

Everything returns to normal if I just install the SL3F7 Pentium 3 550 MHz back.
Is there anything Duke3D doesn't like about coppermine CPU, or is it some settings I've missed?
Thank you very much!

Reply 1 of 6, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently played through every episode of d3d via widows 98 on a coppermine 800/256/100 without issue using GM audio, so I doubt thats the problem.

I'd start by stress testing the cpu and running memtest to check for stability errors. From there a clean install of the game and I'd run it with audio disabled to see if that narrows it down. From there im stumped and another user will have to save you :p

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 2 of 6, by tenyuhuang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BeginnerGuy wrote:

I recently played through every episode of d3d via widows 98 on a coppermine 800/256/100 without issue using GM audio, so I doubt thats the problem.

I'd start by stress testing the cpu and running memtest to check for stability errors. From there a clean install of the game and I'd run it with audio disabled to see if that narrows it down. From there im stumped and another user will have to save you :p

Thank you very much for the tips!
However, I did try disabling the sound and played for a while, the game halted anyway.

*I'm playing the game under DOS.

This doesn't happen at all if I play Doom or Descent, which is reaaaaally strange and driving me nuts! 😕 😕 😕 😕

Reply 3 of 6, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you know which patch version you're running? There is an official Duke Nukem 3D v1.5 patch that solved an "echo" crash, that was why I suggested seeing if killing the audio would solve it.

https://gamebanana.com/gamefiles/1337 --> from a quick google search

I'm not sure if this applies to Atomic Edition or any later D3D releases though.

Reply 4 of 6, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My setup seems very similar to yours, never could get it running right via DVI in DOS so went with the eDuke32 port. This works well and with the HRP polymer pack it looks great but you'll need at least an XP rig with some muscle to run it. You may get it running w/o the HRP pack and just use "classic mode" in W98.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 5 of 6, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
buckeye wrote:

My setup seems very similar to yours, never could get it running right via DVI in DOS so went with the eDuke32 port. This works well and with the HRP polymer pack it looks great but you'll need at least an XP rig with some muscle to run it. You may get it running w/o the HRP pack and just use "classic mode" in W98.

Seems like the game is just picky about later hardware. Works fine on my P3 800 using a geforce 4 ti, DVI out to my capture card.

Reply 6 of 6, by tenyuhuang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BeginnerGuy wrote:

Do you know which patch version you're running? There is an official Duke Nukem 3D v1.5 patch that solved an "echo" crash, that was why I suggested seeing if killing the audio would solve it.

https://gamebanana.com/gamefiles/1337 --> from a quick google search

I'm not sure if this applies to Atomic Edition or any later D3D releases though.

I'm running Atomic Edition, v1.5.

buckeye wrote:

After messing around, I googled somewhere that a rare occasion like mine did exist and 3dR never bothered patching it. Instead they told the user to fiddle their Bios settings...but there's no cheat sheet!

Well the most significant difference between Katmai and Coppermine would be artitecture (for which BIOS could do very little) and L2 Cache, so I went into the BIOS and turned off L2 Cache for luck.....

Guess what - it worked!

Does that mean my new CPU has a faulty L2 Cache?