VOGONS

First post, by Dioxaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all, I hope I'm not bothering and that I'm posting in the right section.

tl;dr version first: looking for ADT (I think that's how that frontend menu is called) and the computing tutorial explaining various things (equipment, accessories, how they work together, etc.).

----------------
The long and original post:
I'm a proud owner of an Amstrad Mega PC since late 1993, even though only the base unit subsisted (was donated to relatives at some point, and when I took it back because of its obsolescence, I didn't brought back the rest, as it was either broken, forgotten -Sega controller- or too big -monitor-).

Unfortunately, its hard drive suffered a data loss when it was taken to another PC. I found out it was a glitchy and corrupted BIOS on that other machine but it was too late. Data became inaccessible and hard drive appeared as non-bootable. My lack of knowledge at the time made me attempt to reformat it many times, and it's only much later that I finally made it functional again with a low-level format. That drive is currently in storage and still works.

As you guessed it, all pre-installed software bundled with my Mega PC were lost as a result, and I'm having a hard time finding them again. I know some of you on earth still have them, as I've seen recent pictures of them (from conventions or even careless users who didn't have a clue of the hardware they had in hand). But nobody to this day bothered backing them up and offering them for download.

I'm not talking about Counterpoint, which can easily be found with a simple search online. I'm talking about the front-end startup menu with its big digital clock and huge 3 buttons (help, software launch and return to DOS). I think it was called ADT. There was also a nice tutorial teaching you the basics of computing and how to use your computer and its accessories.

So, if anyone with an Amstrad Mega PC still has them on his/her hard drive, it would be really nice of you if you could archive them somewhere. It would help Mega PC users like me who lost that software in restoring it close to factory and live an experience closer to what we had in our youth. Also, that would help preserving them for future Mega PC owners (even though prices are getting really mad these days).

Thank you for reading and for your understanding.

My Amstrad Mega PC personal archive.